Saturday, October 2, 2010

In Which I Talk About Skating Some More

So this is going to be sort of a short post, because it's nearly one in the morning and I just got home.  I went to the Adult Skate at our local skating rink, which runs from ten until midnight.  It was practically deserted so I got to fling myself around the track without embarrassment, but I should have blogged before I left for skating time.  Oh well.

I would have skated earlier in the day, except for three problems.  The first was that it was nasty outside, which does not make for fun outdoor skating.  The second was that until ten in the evening there are a whole bunch of little kids out on our local rink, and I'm not quite up to jumping over sprawled munchkins yet.  The third was that I'd tried some baseball slides on the asphalt the day before.  I do not recommend this, by the way.  Not only do they tear up your skates really fast, but they also tear up good portions of your skin whether or not you happen to be wearing snowboarding pants.  I'll be sticking with the knee slides outdoors from now on.  But the end result of this fun experiment (beyond the delightful patches of missing skin on my thighs) was that I tore right through my laces on both skates.  So I had to get some more laces and also some toe guards (because the duct tape just wasn't cutting it) before I could skate again. 

I picked up two pairs of laces at the rink-side skate shop.  The first pair is hot pink, and the second pair is black with little skulls all over it.  Because that's what people think of when they see me.  You know, death and destruction.  Because I'm so intimidating and all that.  You've never seen such an intimidating toothpick in your life.

I found out while I was there that the rink (which is much closer to us than the one on post) also allows stroller/wheelchair skating during their family skate time!  I'm excited about this because it's yet another chance for me to involve Connor in a family activity.  Jeremy thinks he might be able to get up on a pair of rollerblades since they have the high ankle supports, so we could all hit the skating rink together!  I seriously love how inclusive and welcoming this area is; roller skating isn't something I would have thought would be a group activity of ours if you'd asked me shortly after Connor was born.  One of the women who worked at the rink was telling me that they have some children with cerebral palsy come in and skate; their braces fit right down into the skates and it's great for muscle strength.  What a fun activity for therapy!

It makes me really happy to think about it!

~Jess

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

5 year old girl deaf needs to be adopted from Asia $9450 Grants

This child lives in international foster care in Asia with a stay at home mother and live in nice, clean, modern facilities.She receives one-on-one attention as the only child or one of two children in the home. Children in her group have been in a special program that includes gardening, martial arts classes, training and additional educational and recreational experiences. We were very impressed by the care these children were receiving as compared to those in other institutions we have visited.

She is a quiet little girl who is deaf and lives in a foster home near the institute. So far, no one has taught her any sign language. Her nannies say that she plays often alone. She is a special little girl who will need a very special family.There is a $9450 in waivers and grant for families within income guidelines for this adoption. There is no fee to ask for the complete file. There is no fee to request a password so you can also view her photos on our secure Web site.

Eligibility exceptions:
If you do not meet some of the eligibility requirements to adopt from China, please contact FamilyFinders@wacap.org, as exceptions to the requirements are granted on a case-by-case basis for this group of children. Additionally, if you are interested in adopting two children at one time, please inquire as each situation is approved on a case-by-case basis.

WACAP (www.wacap.org) is a non-profit adoption and humanitarian aid agency. Contact FamilyFinders@wacap.org or call 1-800-732-1887 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-732-1887 end_of_the_skype_highlighting for more information.
thank-you,
Lynne Mason
Lynnem@wacap.org
WACAP
_________________

 
Blog Directory