Monday, February 3, 2014

In Which Spring Says Never Mind

The hummingbirds were out in force today!  Our in-resident hummingbird, Gus, spent the morning following me around the yard buzzing me and yelling at me until I refilled his feeder.  Every morning he sits up in the neighbor's flowering cherry tree and announces to the entire neighborhood that our house is his.  This morning at Connor's school, another hummingbird was sitting in a tree right next to our car making the same announcement about his turf.  

I had no idea hummingbirds were so incredibly loud before I moved up here, but they really are.  Gus sounds a bit like a cross between a digital watch and an electric pencil sharpener.  Also he is really, really bossy.  I'm pretty sure Gus believes we live in this house solely for his convenience.

I hope our little fluffy dictator stays nice and warm in the next few days; the temperature is supposed to get down in the 'teens a few nights this week.  It's been really nice and sunny lately, and balmy enough around here that my dutch iris are actually blooming already, so I may have to run out and cover them up tomorrow before the really frosty weather gets here.  

I'll have to make sure our walk is clear of ice too; Eden definitely has more issues with falls in the winter time if the conditions outside are slick.  Her balance and walking really have improved an incredible amount though; she's been working hard on picking her toes up instead of dragging them, and it's amazing to see the difference in how she's moving.  I think once we go back to visit Thailand in a year or two (provided things have settled down over there) that her friends will be amazed at how differently she carries herself!

~Jess

No comments:

 
Blog Directory