Wednesday, April 28, 2010

In Which Connor Has Another Seizure

Connor had another seizure today. 

I had a friend coming over-- we were going to play around with clay and make some jewelry-- and his seizure started just before the doorbell rang.  He slumped over a little in his high chair, where he had been playing with his toys, and when I picked him up I immediately knew something was wrong; he felt like dead weight and his color, especially on his left side, was very mottled.  He was still conscious and responsive, and he'd actually give me "high fives" with his right hand, but his left hand and foot seemed to be paralyzed.  When I tickled the bottom of his right foot he'd weakly move it away, but when I tickled the bottom of his left foot (normally the more sensitive one) I got no reaction, and his left arm and hand hung totally limp.  We immediately started him on oxygen, and laid a blanket down on the floor in preparation for doing mouth-to-mouth.  His right leg started jerking shortly after that, and he went unresponsive for a while, though his eyes were still open.  Then he stopped breathing.

I had to resuscitate him for about two minutes this time, and the whole seizure lasted about four minutes.  He slept a good portion of the rest of the afternoon.  My friend handled it extremely well, considering she walked in on me sitting there with a pale, jerking child on my lap waiting for him to go blue.  Jer called the neurologist's office and left a message, and then I worked on making clay jewelry for several hours while Connor slept.  I made those Domu-kun earrings and also some vampire oranges and I got to hang out with a friend, so at least the day wasn't completely dismal.  But it wasn't wonderful.

This latest incident is particularly disturbing because despite Connor's recent medication changes, his seizures are getting both longer and more frequent, making me worry that we're going into another cycle that's going to end with him in the ICU again.  This is Connor's fourth seizure in the past thirty days. I'm hoping we'll hear back from the neurologist tomorrow, and he can tell us what we need to do.

Keep the little guy in your thoughts and prayers, okay?

~Jess

15 comments:

Mary Cyrus said...

:[ Decidedly not good news. Aunt Wugaboo wants the boy to stop doing that.

At least your domo kun earrings are awesome. I especially dig the cross-eyed one.

Lissa said...

Thinking of Connor and hoping it can be sorted

Niksmom said...

Sending prayers.

leah said...

Jess, sending prayers to you and your beautiful boy. Here's to a better day today.

gloria said...

Oh no. I hope the doctors can find out what's going on soon. Keep us posted. Keeping yall in prayer.

Bronx Cataldo's said...

THe poor little lad. Heres hoping today will be a better day.
We have been having some of thoes this month too. We went 2.5 mths with out any and then 7 in 4 days but we might have found the culprit a UTI.
Hugs

Monkey and Bean said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope there is a quick and easy solution.

Julia said...

Not good. I really really hope the neurologist can figure something out with meds and dosage, and you can get a break from these things. Good luck.

stellarparenting.com said...

hope that soemthing can be found to help stop them, I can not even imagine. You hang in there too.

xraevision said...

I am so disheartened to hear about another seizure. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

I *LOVE* your earrings! Perhaps you are overlooking a new career possibility?!!

Anonymous said...

Poor baby. I hope that Connor's doctors are able to get him up to speed as soon as possible!

Wherever HE Leads We'll Go said...

UGH! Jess, I am so sorry! Definitely praying!

The earrings are really cute, by the way.

Julia O'C said...

Connor needs to knock that off.

Aw, Jess. This is such awful news. The little guy doesn't deserve this. I'm not very good at the whole prayer thing but I'm praying for him. I'm going to call my folks and get him on their church prayer line, too. Bug the heck out of God until he fixes this.

Sorry I've been out of touch.

EmmaVerdona124 said...

so sorry to hear he has another one
I'll keep him in my prayer since I'm just like her *points to profile picture*

One Mom said...

Sending hugs, love, prayers, and all manner of other good things. Hang in there.

 
Blog Directory