Thursday, January 26, 2012

In Which Jer And I Go Out On The Town

Jer and I just got home from a date!

Jeremy brought home tickets to an ice skating performance (Unforgettable Moments of Love on Ice!) from work, so we got all dressed up and went out on the town.  It was lovely to get the chance to go out just the two of us; it's been a while since we've had the opportunity to spend some one-on-one time together.  I think the last time we went out was in early December, so we were definitely past due.

The show was pretty awesome-- a number of Olympic medalists and world champion skaters did some amazing routines, and Gladys Knight gave a stellar performance.  Kenny G was also there doing his smooth jazz thing, which I'm sure was a fantastic performance if you are a fan of smooth jazz.  He actually spent some time out on the ice and was a pretty good sport about the whole thing.  I had a really hard time not visualizing the skaters performing in elevators during his numbers, but that's not his fault. 

It was a little odd because the performance was being filmed for television; apparently it's going to be on NBC the first Saturday of February (you should check it out because it was a fun performance to watch live.  I'd watch it again if I had TV reception-- and not just to see if Jer and I make an appearance on camera).  After the show was over they had us keep our seats and they reshot some of the jumps and routines to make sure they got enough good footage.  That was actually a lot of fun because the skaters cut loose a bit and joked with the audience while they waited for their cues. 

We had VIP passes to the afterparty, so when the performance was over we went upstairs, grabbed some dessert and coffee, and watched from afar as the skaters and Kenny G were completely mobbed by the other guests.  I'm sure they're used to it, but it didn't look like a whole lot of fun from our perspective.  We figured they had more than enough people to talk to, and we're not really the "meet 'em so we can say we met 'em" types.  But I will say that Sasha Cohen is just as pretty in person as she is on the screen.  Oh, and I now have a bit of a crush on Ryan Bradley.  He has got some serious muscles, ladies.

Also he does a mean back flip.

Anyway, it was a fantastic evening and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.  It was just so great to get the chance to spend some quality time with Jer!  The performance was not something we'd normally think of doing if we hadn't received tickets, but we ended up having a great time.  Hopefully we'll have the chance to go on more out-of-the-box dates in the future! 

~Jess

1 comment:

Julia said...

Sounds like a nice evening! I've always liked watching ice skating more than I usually admit. Although I find it very stressful to watch while they're competing, because you can tell when they're building up to some huge whirly jump, so there's huge suspense and sometimes an unfortunate outcome.

I'm guessing that you and Jeremy probably manage to have a good time no matter what the nature of the date -- either genuine enjoyment, or the opportunity for some good snarking, and I get the feeling that you two have a talent for snark.

 
Blog Directory