Friday, August 7, 2009

Not The Way To Walk Your Dog

This morning I walked out to take out the recycling and there was a rather portly man maybe in his thirties out walking his dog. Or maybe 'walking his dog' isn't the proper term, as actually he was riding very slowly around the apartment complex on his motorcycle, with the dog, a Pomeranian, trotting alongside him as fast as its little legs could go.

After I picked my jaw up off the floor I was of two minds about this. One half of my brain screams "No judging him! He may have some sort of disability that prevents him from walking long distances and this is how he chooses to exercise his animal! You don't know his situation! You must not judge!" The other half of my brain says "Seriously? The man is too lazy to walk his dog, who I might add is a Pomeranian and will thus be tired out after maybe one lap around the complex, and so he goes out and does it on a motorcycle? Not only is it really wasteful, but one tap of the accelerator and that dog is going to become the world's first puppy projectile."

I'm trying really hard to give him the benefit of the doubt, as I know that people often take Connor at face value and make comments like "He's too big to carry-- you should let him walk!" without knowing that he has any special needs. I'm having a hard time coming up with a disability that allows you to ride on a motorcycle but not to walk one time around a large parking lot, though.

Maybe he just really likes the motorcycle.

~Jess

2 comments:

leah said...

Hmm... maybe his dog has a motorcycle phobia and he is trying to desensitize the dog. Or the dog likes to chase motorcycles and he's trying some behavior modification.

Actually, I like the mental image of a pomeranian chasing down motorcycles, so I'm going with that one!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmm....I think I'm going to have to agree with both of your brains?!?!?! LOL.

 
Blog Directory