Friday, June 18, 2010

In Which We Have Our Home Study, And Connor Rocks Out

So I think the home study went fairly well.

And by that I mean that I have absolutely no idea how it went, other than the fact that we managed to not set the social worker on fire or anything, and she did not run screaming from our house, so it probably wasn't a total disaster.  Never fear, though-- I will probably have convinced myself that she completely hated us by the time we get the actual home study report back, because I am fun like that. 

She took a look around our house, and then we sat down and went over the gigantic packet of information we'd sent in about our lives, and she asked us a bunch of questions and wrote notes down on her notepad about what we said.  Unfortunately none of the questions were multiple choice, which probably would have been waaaaaay easier.  But at any rate, I think we did okay; the social worker seemed very nice, but she was a little hard to read.  We'll find out in a few weeks whether or not we convinced her we're not total psychopaths when she sends us a rough draft of the home study. 

Connor spent the morning hanging out with Joanna while we conducted our interview, and then we spent a relatively quiet evening at home, with the exception of a rather exciting development.  Connor's been a big fan of his rocking horse for a while, but he hasn't been able to really make it go on his own.  Well, today he finally got it!  Check out the awesome video, in which he very slowly and carefully rocks waaaay back and then waaaay forward. 



I crack up in the middle, by the way, because while you can't really hear it on the video apparently exercising his abs like that makes Connor emit extremely loud, rapid-fire toots.  Hey-- he's working hard!  At any rate, this is the first movement-related activity that Connor has ever been able to do completely on his own, so it's pretty exciting! 

We'll see how he does on the real horse in a few weeks!

~Jess

7 comments:

leah said...

Oh, wow! Rock on, Connor!

I'm sure the home study went very well (since no one was eaten by velociraptors)- how long does it take to get the report back?

Wherever HE Leads We'll Go said...

Love the video! Way to go Connor! Great rocking!

It is so exciting that you are moving along in the adoption process. One step closer!

Julia said...

Love the video!!! I had to watch it with the sound off, so I heard neither toots nor laughs, but I did crack up at the end when one of the cats made a quick cameo appearance. I'm glad nobody seemed to suffer physical harm during the home visit, and I'm sure you did great.

Anonymous said...

He's so cute! :)
-Ruth

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh my goodness... my boys are just howling at the "rock and toot"!

Too funny!

Julie

Anonymous said...

Wow- Connor toots AND cat butt!!! Your laugh is awesome, BTW. I don't care what anyone says- farts are funny.

Connor has changed and gained so many new skills since I first found your blog. Go, little guy!!!! What a fighter.

I can pretty much guarantee you that your home study went well. You guys are an amazing family.

- j o'c

xraevision said...

I'm so sure that your interview went really well, especially since the social worker left your house in one piece, but I totally understand how nerve racking the process is. The waiting for the report gives you enough time to convince yourself of anything and everything negative, but you must resist!

Great accomplishment on the rocking horse, Connor! Looks like good fun too!

 
Blog Directory