Thursday, July 29, 2010

In Which Connor Has Another Seizure And We Experience A Milk Explosion

I had just finished strapping Connor into his wheelchair today so that we could go pick up a prescription renewal of his at the pharmacy when he slumped over in his chair.

Yep.  Seizure.

I always freak out a little when he has a seizure in his chair because when he's upright it cuts off his airway pretty immediately, and also because it takes me a little while to get him out of all the straps.  So I wasn't thinking about the fact that he was plugged into his g-tube pump when I hastily undid everything and yanked him straight out.

His g-tube, connector still attached, popped out of his stomach.

Picture the scene, if you can.  I'm holding Connor, who is already turning blue-gray and about to stop breathing at any second.  The g-tube hole, now open on his stomach, is fountaining Pediasure all over my shirt, arms, and the floor.  The pump, still turned on, is busily pumping more formula onto my pants.  The cats are going nuts because they can't figure out why the heck we're throwing good food all over the floor.  Once I start mouth-to-mouth, I have to try and fend Loki off with my foot because he keeps trying to come up and investigate.

Not one of our brightest moments.

By the time I got him breathing again (the seizure lasted about a minute) and was ready to deal with the pump and the g-tube, it looked like Connor and I had gotten into a milk fight or something.  And of course he was extremely sleepy and crabby, and didn't particularly appreciate me reinserting his g-tube or giving him a shower. 

So that was my wonderful day.  We've got a call into the neurologist and hopefully we'll hear something back tomorrow, as Connor has now had five of these things in the last two weeks.  Lovely.

We could use some good thoughts this way, folks.  Also some more mopping solution.  I get the feeling I may need it.

~Jess

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about the messy day. =( Hoping Conner's seizures go away quickly and sending all the good thoughts your way.
-Jing

Julia O'C said...

That sounds absolutely horrendous.

I can't imagine having to deal with that kind of mess after just having saved my child's life. I know you say you're just doing what you have to do, but wow - you sure have to an awful lot.

I think another one of those bath fizzies is in order. Also: chocolate and a good book. Keeping my fingers crossed that this awfulness stops.

Niksmom said...

Oh good heavens! I've had to deal with the tube and pump stuff, but NEVER involving seizures and resuscitation. Jess, you deserve a good glass of wine and a foot rub, chocloate, a vacation in Paris...and more! Wish i had the wherewithal to make those things possible!

Sending prayers for the end of Connor's dang seizures! And, um, good floor cleaner, too.

Wherever HE Leads We'll Go said...

I have been having computer troubles so I am very far behind in my blog reading.

All I can say is "NOOOOOOO!". I really want to come here and read about fun, crazy things that you and Connor are doing this summer. I don't want to read that he had another seizures (that isn't a hint to stop sharing these events, but a wish that they would stop happening!).

To add the g-tube incident to all of this is just plain crazy! We already think you are an amazing mom, you don't need to up the ante to prove it to us (making stupid jokes is a lovely habit of mine when situations are worrisome or stressful). Praying you are able to get some answers from neuro. In the meantime, I think you are due for an insane amount of chocolate!

pamct said...

Sending lots of healing prayers your way.I am Julia's Mother and have gotten to know you through her.You are one of the bravest women I have ever known and your mothering is at a level very few ever attain.Blessings,I hope you hear from the Dr.soon!

xraevision said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the terrible time you're having with Connor's seizures. You painted quite a picture about this particular one. With a milk mess to clean up on top of resuscitating your son, you certainly deserve some rest. Hoping that the breakthrough takes a break, and that you get that rest soon.

Hope said...

That is a lot to go through, I'm so sorry. I hope the neurologist can help get things under control.

 
Blog Directory