Monday, July 12, 2010

In Which We Have A Not-Fun Day

Connor and I were going to go swimming and run a bunch of errands today, but instead he had a seizure.

This one was about three and a half minutes long, and I had to do mouth-to-mouth for about forty-five seconds of that.  He didn't end up with any paralysis this time, but his left side was much weaker for a few hours afterwards.  Luckily he spent most of that time sleeping, so it didn't freak him out too much.

Actually, for the first two minutes or so of the seizure he was totally lucid-- he was making noise, responding to questions, etc-- and he wasn't upset about it at all.  We've explained his seizures to him many times, and I think that he's had so many by now that they aren't really scary to him anymore.  I'm glad that his seizures don't terrify him any longer, but at the same time it makes me a little sad that he's had so many they've become commonplace to him.  He's lived longer with the seizures now than he has without them, and he probably doesn't remember a time when he hasn't had them. 

I don't think I'll probably ever get used to them, though-- at least the part where he stops breathing.

At any rate, he slept well through our swimming time and then the lunch hour.  When he woke up he seemed to be in a relatively good mood (though he was still fairly weak on the left side) so I decided to try a quick outing to the library, which turned out to be a mistake.  He had a total meltdown after about ten minutes.  And normally he loves the library.  It's quiet, it has books, and also the children's section has these awesome LED stars on the ceiling that he absolutely adores.  So if he was having a case of the screaming meemies in the middle of the library there was absolutely no way we were going to make it through the grocery store or any of the other errands I needed to do.  We went back home, where he took his second nap of the day and I spent the time doing laundry.  I hate doing laundry.

Bleagh.  I'm glad this day is over.

~Jess

4 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh Jess... don't know what to say but I am praying right now for Connor. For the three of you.

Julie

Julia O'C said...

I don't have any words. I'm sorry. I'm here if you want to talk.

Julia said...

As additional (sad) commentary on how common these things are becoming, I don't even know what to say any more, just like your other commenters. Just the usual -- not good, this isn't good, it needs to stop. Is there any alternative pharmacological approach, besides just continuing to up the dosage on his current medication? Is there a different approach altogether? Do they know the exact cause of his seizures? Are his current meds really targetting the specific cause? I guess if there were something better out there, they would've tried it by now.

leah said...

Jess, what a rotten day. I've been behind on blogs because we're out in California, but that just sucks. I am glad you are looking at safe routes through California so that you are always near hospitals and towns.

Sending as many prayers, positive thoughts, and support as I can over an internet connection.

 
Blog Directory