Wednesday, August 18, 2010

In Which Connor And I Go Shopping And I Consider Theft

Connor had about a one minute seizure this evening.  He's been asleep now for a few hours; it was right before bed.  He stopped breathing with this one-- it looked like a pretty typical seizure for him-- so I have no idea what the deal was with that long seizure the other day.  Lovely.  We still haven't heard anything back from the neurologist about that last one.  Guess I'll be calling the hospital tomorrow. 

Anyway, the rest of the day went well.  We took a trip to the grocery store, where I once again contemplated walking off with one of their plastic shopping baskets.  These things are just so darn convenient.  I mean-- look how they fit right in between the handlebars of Connor's wheelchair!  I've got to buy myself one of these, as sadly the shoplifting method isn't going to happen due to my overdeveloped sense of morality.  It would add some serious storage to Connor's chair. 

The only thing holding me back from finding one on the Internet (they sell everything on Ebay) and snatching it up is that the little guy is going to be getting a new, bigger wheelchair sometime in the next few months and I'm not sure whether or not the distance between the handlebars will be the same.  As you can see, he's rapidly outgrowing his old one, which is much the worse for wear. 

He's going to be getting the ThevoTwist, made by Thomashilfen.  This one right here, only in red.  Spiffy, huh?  At any rate, I'll hold off on getting a basket until I know if the measurements match up, but in the meantime I'll eye them longingly every time I leave the grocery store and have to put mine back. 

Either way I'll continue using a little basket and doing my grocery shopping in frequent but small trips.  Because there's no way I'm capable of hauling a wheelchair and a grocery cart through any store without some serious collateral damage.

~Jess

2 comments:

pamct said...

Maybe if you could tell the store manager what you just wrote in this post he would let you "borrow" a basket until you get a new wheel chair.I am so sorry about the seizure and pray you hear from the Dr. soon. Love and Prayers,Pam

Julia O'C said...

Jess, I have something like this and I LOVE IT:

http://www.amazon.com/Solid-Canvas-Collapsible-Market-Basket/dp/B002K3706C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1282235771&sr=1-2

It's great for small shopping trips, the farmers' market, picking up the CSA, etc. They sell a similar one at my Costco (for a lot less). Want me to pick one up for you? I think you'll still get a lot of use out of it even when the big guy gets bigger.

As for the seizure: Well, CRAP.

 
Blog Directory