Saturday, August 7, 2010

In Which I Am Still Shocked I Made It On The Plane

I still can't believe they let me get on that plane.  Here's how things went:

Time of Flight: 7:30 a.m.
Time of Arrival to Airport: 6:30 a.m.

I got to the airport a scant hour before my flight was due to take off (and yes, I know that this is not recommended-- trust me when I say it was not our original plan). It was an early flight, and usually the airport isn't so bad first thing in the morning, but today for whatever reason the stars were not aligned in my favor because things were packed.  I mean the line for the curb check-in was probably about thirty people long.  I called my parents while standing in that line and told them that I was almost positive I was going to miss my flight, but I was going to try and make it anyway.

Time of Arrival at Security Gate: 6:50 a.m.

The Security Gate was insane.  The lines to get to the lines had lines.  That's how bad it was.  My flight had just begun boarding when I got in line, and I was positive there was no way I was getting on the plane.  My hope now was to make it to the desk in time to either change to a later flight or cancel my flight and get my money back, because I was pretty sure if it actually departed without me speaking to someone that would be a no-go.

Time Finished With Security: 7:20 a.m.

My laptop (taken out of its case for the security check) in one hand and my laptop case in the other, I sprinted down the corridor towards my gate.  Luckily it was one relatively close to the security.  I skidded to a stop in front of it and saw, of course, that the sign had already been taken down. 

"I figured I was too late for the San Diego flight," I said in a conversational (albeit rather breathless, due to my earlier sprinting) tone to the flight attendant. 

"That's the gate for the other airlines," she said, pointing across the corridor.  I turned around and dashed over to the (identically numbered) gate, where the attendant was just taking down the sign for my plane. 

"Darn it," I said.  "I was hoping I'd make it."

"Well, the door is still open, so if you're already checked in go for it," she said to my complete and utter shock.  I hurried over to the loading area, where the flight attendant was just reaching for the button to close the door.  I handed her my boarding pass.

And they let me on the plane!

Time of my arrival on the plane: 7:24 a.m.
Time of take off: 7:30 a.m.

I swear I lead a charmed life.

So I made it to La Jolla after all, and incredibly my bag made it there too, and despite all odds I ended up getting to go to the wedding.  It was a fantastic wedding, of course, and I bawled like I usually do at weddings and then made a total idiot out of myself on the dance floor at the reception.  And tomorrow morning I'll fly back to Seattle, via a lovely connection in Albuquerque, New Mexico.  What can I say?  They were last minute tickets.  But I plan on getting to the airport a little earlier this time.

I'm not tempting fate twice.



Kristin said...

on no! you are one of "those" people that all of the early arrivals have to wait impatiently for on the plane. :) hehe, kidding. Last plane trip I took, they oversold the flight, so while I was there 30-45 min before take-off, I didn't board the plane until after we were supposed to take off cause the gate ppl were waiting on the local ppl who had electronically checked in on-line. fortunately, a fair number didn't show up and I made it on the plane. but anyway, you should look into that - electronic check in. :) glad you had a great time!

leah said...

My goodness- what a stressful departure! Glad you made the flight- plane travel stresses me out. Sounds like a wonderful wedding, and we're all glad you made it safely there!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

You deserve some good luck - glad it worked out!

Hope the boys are holding down the fort for you :D


Jess said...

I did do electronic check-in. It's probably the only reason they let me on the plane. Luckily they weren't waiting on me-- the flight took off right on time. Also they didn't oversell, and no one wanted my seat, or I'm sure they would have given it away.


Blog Directory