Saturday, March 26, 2011

In Which Connor Does Not Wear Pajamas And I Go To Tramp Camp

So Friday was Connor's last day of school before Spring Break, and it was Pajama Day in honor of the occasion.  I put the little guy's brace on early so that his morning hour in it would be up before school started (normally he takes it off half an hour into the school day) and he would be able to fit into his pajamas.  His pajama bottom waistbands won't fit over the brace.

Anyway, I'd tried to explain to Connor about Pajama Day, but apparently he didn't get the concept because when I got out his pajamas he got really still for a minute or so.  You could see the wheels turning in his head:
I wear school clothes to school . . .
I wear pajamas to bed . . .
Mom is putting my pajamas on . . .
so I'm not going to school . . .
I must be going back to bed . . .
ZOMG SYSTEM ERROR FREAK OUT RIGHT NOW!!!!


He threw a fit.  A screaming meemies, sobbing, knock-down, drag-out temper tantrum of a fit, and no amount of explaining on my part was going to convince him that I wasn't attempting to put him to bed at 8:00 in the morning. 

So I put his regular clothes back on.  He went to school blotchy-faced but happy as a clam.

Friday night, of course, was Tramp Camp for me.  I feel the need to clarify that my roller derby team's name is the Trampires so none of you get the wrong idea.  I'm not sure what the lady next to me in the grocery store thought I was doing when she heard me mention over the phone to a friend that I was "buying snacks for Tramp Camp," but judging from the horribly fascinated look she shot me and how she started discreetly edging away I suspect she thought I was attending some sort of organized retreat for excessively promiscuous women.  I thought about throwing in something over the phone about how I was looking forward to my Basket Weaving And Man Stealing 101 class just to mess with her, but I managed to restrain myself.

At any rate, Tramp Camp was a whole lot of fun and I had a fantastic time!  I skate with a bunch of really genuinely nice women, and it was pretty great to get away for a little while and spend some time getting to know my team and my coach better.  Also despite having stayed up into the wee hours of the morning I think I actually got more sleep there than I've averaged at home in the past week.  Connor's been having a little trouble with the insomnia lately. 

Maybe I should go to Tramp Camp more often.

~Jess

No comments:

 
Blog Directory