Monday, July 6, 2009

Hair and Boyhood

Connor and I went and got our hair cut today.

I am a great admirer of those brave souls who choose to cut their children's hair themselves. While many women think that it's a big waste of time and money to take their child to the salon for a trim, I am not one of them. This is because I like my son's ears firmly attached to his head. The only way to keep him still without forcibly restraining him is to sign the ABCs over and over again in front of his nose, and attempting to sign with my left hand while using scissors with my right hand sounds like a really, really bad idea to me.

So we went to a stylist.

Connor was really very, very good for her-- he held perfectly still so long as I was signing and singing the ABCs. My eighteen renditions of the song in various rhythms and styles probably clashed a little bit with the pop music emanating from the overhead speakers, but at least my child emerged with his ears intact.

Haircuts always have the effect of making Connor look much, much older-- it's like little pieces of his babyhood are swept away among the clippings on the floor. It makes me a bit sad. I saved a lock of his hair to tie with a ribbon and tuck in this week's care package. Hopefully there's a tiny sliver of youth in there too-- I'm sure my husband could use a bit of innocence where he is now.

I've heard there's not a lot of it to go around over there.


~Jess

9 comments:

AshleyS said...

he's a cutie with his new 'do!

Julia O'C said...

I haven't been able to comment much because the "h" on my keyboard had stopped working. Try writing without an "h". It's challenging.

1st: Connor looks so sweet! His new haircut is very dashing.

2nd: Hope your husband is doing well. I can't imagine how hard it must be for him to be away from you guys.

Ashley's Mom said...

Such a handsome boy!

Jess said...

It would be very ard to not ave an "h" key, Julia O'C. Certainly a callange to figure out wat to type. Glad you ave it back!

Colleen said...

What a handsome little guy you have there! It sounds like the abc song did the trick!

Kierstyn said...

I know what you mean, about babies growing up in front of you when you have their hair cut. I cut my boys hair last night. Micah gets a clipper cut, and always looks HUGE. I'm thankful baby Ben (maybe I should quit calling him that?) still gets a scissor cut.

Kierstyn said...

BTW, did your fingers cramp after all that signing? ;-)

Wherever HE Leads We'll Go said...

He is so cute. Losing the baby look is so sad, but I guess inevitable. *sigh*

Michelle said...

Connor's hair cut looks great! I just trimmed Xander's hair for the second time, and yesterday, wearing a button up shirt, he looks like he's eight years old, not 22 months! Fortunately, because his health seems to improve with age, we're not too nostalgic about losing the baby look!

 
Blog Directory