Saturday, July 25, 2009

In Which Folding Clothes Is The Funniest Thing To Happen Ever

Today was laundry day.

I hate laundry day. This is because I really don't care for chores where I do everything and then I know that two days later I will have exactly the same thing to do with nothing to show for it. While I was growing my mom would ask me questions like "why hadn't I made my bed?" and I would reply "because I'm just going to have to unmake it at the end of the day" (And promptly get in trouble. I do not recommend this as an answer to give your mother). I make my bed now, but I still don't see the point in it. Laundry is also one of those "endless" chores-- one of the worst as far as I'm concerned. And since I had Connor laundry day has now expanded to two or three times a week. I do it, of course, because while I hate doing laundry I'm sure I'd hate having no clean clothes to wear more, but I still don't like it.

Connor, on the other hand, believes that laundry is hilarious.

It's hard to be gloomy about doing that particular chore any more, because I have a child who believes that moving, waving cloth-- especially sheets and towels-- is perhaps the funniest thing he has ever seen in his entire life. I have no idea why, and he certainly hasn't explained it to me, but any time he sees me get out the laundry basket he starts giggling in anticipation. I actually have to make sure not to wash all of my big sheets in one load, or to do them after he's asleep, or otherwise he'll laugh so hard watching me fold them that he'll make himself throw up! Usually all over the clean laundry, I might add. He has pretty good aim.

He also likes to "help" with the folding. Basically if I throw a blanket or burp cloth over his head, he'll pull it off and drop it on the floor. Here's a video of how he reacts to this sort of thing:



Now if only he'd have this reaction to say, doing dishes and vacuuming, and things would be a lot more fun around here!

The cats, by the way, do not help with chores. The cats spend their time sitting at our screen door contemplating killing everything outside that moves. They glare at everyone who walks by. Our upstairs neighbor is convinced that Loki is planning on eating him.

Crazy cats.

Jess

5 comments:

leah said...

That adorable reaction would make me want to fold clothes 4x per day! What a cutie-pie. I wonder how he would like strips of cloth/ribbon tied to a fan (to make them move in the breeze)?

Katy said...

I don't mind laundry, but the dishes! Ugh! That's a task that is truly never done. Charlie's reaction to all chores is similar to your cats.

I am completely jealous of your farm days and all the wonderful food you are getting for your family. I really should try to incorporate something like that into our week. I hate going to Walmart and therefore avoid it like the plauge.

Wherever HE Leads We'll Go said...

That video was absolutely adorable! I would definitely want to do laundry more often if that was the reaction I received!

Anonymous said...

(smiles). I laughed out loud when he came out with that squeal/screech/scream/laughter. THAT showed how much joy he truly has in laundry. He'd have a blast at my house...the laundry never ends!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

 
Blog Directory