Sunday, July 26, 2009

Respite Care!

Got a phone call from Jer a couple of days ago-- he's doing as well as can be expected under the circumstances. They're keeping pretty busy. I miss him.

Anyway, today Connor and I had respite care again, which was very nice. I spent a good portion of it writing, though not in this blog. Every once in a while I get the urge to write poetry, and I usually come up with a couple of good lines and then get totally bogged down with all the crap that has to go between those good lines. This is where I'm stuck at the moment. The problem with poetry is that unlike writing, say, a novel, you have to think about every single word. They're all important, and if you change an "it" to a "her" in, say, a 150 page novel, it's probably not going to have that much of an impact on the piece as a whole, but if you make the switch in a poem, it can change the whole meaning. And don't even get me started on punctuation. At any rate, I spent a couple of hours at a local coffee shop scribbling all over my notebook until I got fed up with it and went to dinner.

I spent some time shopping, saw my friend and her new little one again, stopped by the bookstore (of course) and then went home. That was about the extent of my evening.

Plans for this week include putting up more bookshelves in the library to hold all of the books I keep buying on respite care outings, driving across the bridge to the big pharmacy to get more Pediasure, as we're now going through four and a half cans a day as opposed to two, getting passports for Connor and I (more on that later) and getting presents in the mail for all of the people who had birthdays that I've been neglecting. Busy busy!

In the meantime, I'm going to go back to working on that stupid poem.

~Jess

2 comments:

Katy said...

That right there is why I got a B in poetry--I never interpreted EVERY word--just the ones that seemed important. With poetry, they're all important. Bah!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about poems. Sometimes I start rhyming in my writings (not that all poetry is rhyme of course), and I contemplate turning it into a poem. Then I smack myself across the face, wake up, and realize I don't quite need that frustration. LOL.

Maybe on your next respite, you can read some of the books your picking up?

 
Blog Directory