Thursday, July 16, 2009

Seizure

Well, one of my worst nightmares officially came true this morning.

Connor had a seizure while I was driving.

We were happily on our way to Toddler Treasures reading group at the library about half an hour ago. I was just pulling up to a major intersection, driving in the far left-hand lane, when Connor, who had been laughing and babbling to himself, suddenly became really, really quiet. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw to my horror that his head was lolling on his shoulder, he wasn't breathing, and his whole body was blue. I lay on the horn and pulled across two lanes of traffic into the Fred Meyer parking lot, where I threw on the emergency brake and jumped out of the car.

I got Connor out of his car seat on onto the ground, gave him three breaths, and he came back. I'm thinking the whole thing probably took less than a minute. By the time a couple of other cars pulled up and people ran up, he was already conscious again and, while not happy, was responsive and aware of his surroundings. I told the concerned folks around us that we didn't need the ambulance, as he would be all right now that Connor was breathing again, and then strapped him back in the car and we went home, where I put him to bed and then proceeded to have a small fit of hysterics in the middle of my living room.

I'll be calling the neurologist to let him know that Connor had another seizure and see if he wants to up the little guy's medication. In the meantime, I'll be staying off the highway and any roads without shoulders as much as I can.

Thank God he's okay.

~Jess

12 comments:

Julia O'C said...

Oh, my God, Jess, I'm in tears. I can't imagine your terror. I'm so sorry.

leah said...

What a completely terrifying morning. You almost need one of those crib video monitor cameras/video display on your dash so that you can constantly check on Connor.

God, I hope that doesn't happen again!

Michael and Michelle said...

Oh my goodness...how terrifying. I am amazed at how well you kept it together...I just can't imagine...I will say a prayer for you and your little guy, that you will both rest easy tonight.

Michelle said...

Oh Jess, I'm so sorry to hear about this scary event. I know the terror of trying to get out of a major intersection to revive your son, knowing that seconds count! Xander had one blue spell in the car, and it took me months to find the courage to drive alone any distance farther than ten minutes away. Take a deep breath and give Connor a hug for me. I'll be thinking of you both.

Jennifer Ortiz said...

How very scary for you. Jude has cluster seizures which last about 30 minutes (when not controlled), but his oxygen level never depletes because he gets a slight break in between each seizure. I am sorry you have to deal with this. Depakene has been a life saver for us. I hope your neuro helps you soon

Kelsey said...

I'm so sorry Jessie... that sounds horrible! Thank God you were able to respond so quickly. You are an amazing mom!
*and Brownies do fix EVERYTHING.

Colleen said...

Oh my goodness, I'm glad to hear he's OK now! Hopefully you will be able get some answers from the Neuro and get his meds increased. I'll be thinking and praying for you!

Wherever HE Leads We'll Go said...

That is just awful. I am crying just reading it. I cannot imagine how terrified you must have been! I am amazed that you held it together and handled the situation like a pro. I pray that he does not have any more seizures and that you are able to get answers from the neurologist quickly.

Julia said...

How awful!! I'm so glad you were able to get to him so quickly. And here I was pitying myself because it's a mild inconvenience when Ben pulls his CI headpiece off in the car -- I just can't imagine the terror of a seizure. I hope things are brought under control soon.

PolyglotMom said...

I'm in tears too. I'm so sorry. I can only imagine your terror. It sounds like you knew exactly what to do though. I hope that never happens again for you.

Princess Abigail said...

oh boy
you must have felt like those three minutes lasted about a century .... what a terrible experience for you both.
Sorry it had to happen.
Sending you positive vibes from this end.
Alison

Ellen Seidman said...

Oh, Jess. I'm just reading this now, my heart's beating faster. I totally know how you felt seeing him seize, except you had the added nightmare of driving... PLEASE let us know how he's doing. Hopefully, just a medication tweak will help. I'm sorry.

 
Blog Directory