Tuesday, March 30, 2010

In Which Connor Has Another Seizure

Today I was pushing Connor on his tricycle around the house while Jeremy was out cycling.  The tricycle is a favorite toy; it's modified so that Connor can use it with help.  Normally he loves playing on it, but today after just a couple minutes he began to fuss and shake his head "no."  I thought he just didn't want to work-- the bike is definitely physical therapy-- and told him we'd do one more round of the house and then be done.  Then the painters who've been working on Connor's bed knocked on the garage door to let me know they were packing up for the day, and I parked Connor just on the other side of the doorway, closed the garage door and turned back around.

Connor was slumped over the bike, totally silent and motionless, his helmet resting against the handle bars.  He hadn't been fussing because he didn't want to work.  He'd been fussing because he was about to have a seizure.

I unstrapped him as quickly as I could and raced with him into his bedroom, grabbing the phone on the way in.  He was still breathing, one leg jerking slightly in a rhythmic fashion, but his eyes were fixed and his body was otherwise totally limp.  I lay him down on his mattress and grabbed his oxygen and his emergency seizure med.  Just as I got back to the bed, his leg stopped jerking, his eyes closed, and he stopped breathing.

So I bent over and breathed for him, as I've had to do so many times before.  I probably gave him about forty breaths-- he was gone for about two minutes-- before he gave a great gasp and started breathing again on his own.  I was just reaching for the Diastat when he came back.

He's fine now-- he slept for a little bit (there's his adorable self sleeping) and then was just a bit cranky and tired the rest of the evening.  But I really hoped we had the seizures licked for a while, so it's disappointing that he had one today: especially such a long one.  Hopefully we won't see another for a while.

Yeesh.  What a day.

~Jess

15 comments:

Niksmom said...

I am so sorry that Connor had another seizure. I can only imagine how draining that must be for all of you in it's varying ways. Poor little guy, loks so spent in that sleeping photo. I just want to reach through my computer and smooth his hair.

Is this the first time he's been able to tell you in some way that he's about to have a seizure? If he has some sort of awareness in his body, can you teach him some sign or how to answer a yes/no question so you can know, too, and help him through it?

Sending hugs and prayers.

Laura aka Mama Ham said...

So sorry, praying for him!

leah said...

Poor little guy- I can't imagine how exhausting those seizures are for him (and terrifying for you).

I am praying that it will be a long, long time before you see another one.

Tom said...

I am so sorry Jessie. Are they going to change his medication again or are they going to wait and see what kind of frequency the seizures are appearing before making any adjustments?

Poor little guy.

stellarparenting.com said...

I am sorry to hear that he has anoter seizure, thank God he is okay. Praying for you today and that there are not any more seizures.

Julia O'C said...

I can't help but look at that picture of Connor sleeping and think that it's so unfair that he has to deal with this. I feel so bad for Connor - and YOU. It's impossible to wrap my head around how terrifying a seizure is for you.

I hope you were able to get some sleep after that. We're thinking about you guys.

Julia said...

Not good at all. I'm so sorry. Take good care of both of you.

Kristina said...

Oh my goodness. I'm sorry you both had such a hard day. I'm going to say a few extra prayers this week just for Connor.

Elizabeth said...

Oh, I feel for you. I never get used to them, actually. I hope that's his last. Peace to you and little Connor.

Katy said...

I hate that you have to do that for him. Prayers for you all!

R said...

Ack, horrible. Poor you - both of you.

Jess, I think you could do with getting an ambu-bag or similar, a face mask and bag to use instead of mouth-to-mouth. It's easier to get effective breaths into someone with it and sustainable for (gods forbid) longer stretches.

Something like this is what I mean.

I hope Connor is feeling better, and that you're recovering. Becca xx

Michelle said...

Ugh...seizures just suck. Though I'm always amazed at how they can wake up from these near death experiences asking for food and wondering why everyone looks so upset. We have an ambu-bag, pulse-ox, oxygen and diastat with us at all times - Owen tends to stop breathing for about 20 minutes before his brain decides it has had a long enough siesta and kicks back into gear. We've done mouth to mouth for up to 40 minutes straight, but it's much easier to do it with an AmbuBag. They are cheap (I paid $18 for mine) and we took the training at the Red Cross to use it, but it's very easy. But for just a minute or two mouth to mouth is easier. Glad he bounced back so quickly!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh Jessie, that just breaks my heart.

Interesting, though, that he knew something was happening.

Praying it's an anomaly and not a new pattern.

He sure is adorable, though!

Julie

Wherever HE Leads We'll Go said...

Oh how awful! So very scary! I am so sorry that you had this happen today. I am glad that Connor is OK, though. It is interesting that he seemed to know a seizure was coming. That could be helpful in the future - maybe? Praying Connor is seizure free for a LONG time to come!

xraevision said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Connor's seizure - so scary! I'm keeping you in my thoughts.

 
Blog Directory