Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Burned Out

We all had a pretty quiet day today. Connor seemed to feel a little better, though he still doesn't want to drink much of anything (he only took seven ounces today, and three of those were by syringe as he'll swallow but doesn't want to suck) and he's slept a lot, but hopefully he's on the mend. His throat is still very, very sore, and so he's kind of hoarse. He's felt around his g-tube, and he knows it's there, but thankfully he's left it alone. The incision site looks good and it's not leaking at all, so that's a happy thing.

I went out this morning and bought him a ridiculous number of clothes, as the Babies-R-Us was having a big sale and we needed outfits he'd be able to wear to school without exposing his g-tube. I got two pairs of overalls, several zip-up footie pajamas that we'll cut a little hole in for feeding at night, a few onsie shirts, and some one piece outfits for the daytime. I also bought the kid six or seven new videos from Half Price Books, and a new toy. I might be feeling just a tad bit guilty for putting him through all this, despite how much I tell myself that it was necessary, beneficial, etc. It's hard to make myself remember that when it's obvious he feels terrible.

I don't think Jer and I realized how exhausted we both were until this afternoon, when we put Connor down for a nap and promptly crashed ourselves. I'm not sure how long we slept, but I know for me it was at least four hours. Tomorrow is Connor's IEP, so with any luck we won't be so drained. I'll let you all know how it goes.



AshleyS said...

Welcome to the world of g-tube feeding . . . it's all I know so if you ever want to ask me anything, feel free!

As for clothes--when Clayton first came home I used mostly button up onsies and outfits because he was on 22 hour continuous feeds. But eventually we became used to the tubing and his hours have been weaned down (now on bolus and night feeds). When he was still on continuous during the day, I ran both his feeding tube and O2 tube up his pants/shorts leg just to give it an anchor of sorts so if it got pulled there was some resistance instead of pulling directly on the g-tube site. It really helped keep the tubing unexposed and easier to keep track of when we moved him around. Hope that helps . . .

Michelle said...

Glad to hear that you're all on the mend!

Julia O'C said...

I'm glad you guys got some sleep and that Connor is doing well.

Blog Directory