I called our liaison at the school yesterday to let them know that we would be unavailable on the 23rd, 24th, and 25th, because Connor has his surgery on the 23rd and will spend either one or two nights in the hospital. I hadn't yet received any word about Connor's IEP scheduling, but I wanted to make it easy on them, as we could do any other dates in March EXCEPT for those three days.
I received a call back later that evening. Was I absolutely sure that we couldn't do the 25th? Um, yes, I was sure. Well, they only schedule IEPs on Wednesdays, and April 1st was over Spring Break, so they'd just schedule us for April 8th. No problem, right? I told them that the day would work for me, but I'd have to check with his Birth-to-Three therapists as Connor's third birthday is April 1st.
So the last Birth-to-Three therapist called me back today. NONE of them are allowed to come to the IEP meeting if it is after Connor's third birthday. Also technically it's illegal to hold the meeting after Connor's third birthday. I called back and left a voice message for our liaison's office telling them that we really needed the meeting done before April 1st, and that ANY other day in March except those three, including weekends, we could make. I haven't heard back from them yet, but we have an informal meeting up at the school tomorrow morning (with an unspecified number of people to apparently let the IEP team get a better feel for Connor) so I'm sure we'll talk to them about it then.
I guess I could probably just go to the IEP meeting by myself, but the truth is that I'm a little intimidated, especially since I've only met one person from the IEP team (and they had NINE people at the last meeting, so Lord knows how many will be at the actual IEP) and I'd feel better having advocates along that know the law backwards and forwards and sideways and are on board with what we feel would be the goals and accommodations needed for Connor to get an adequate education. I also have kind of gotten the vibe in the last few phone calls from the school that they'll be pushing for Connor to go into the Special Ed classroom instead of the Deaf and HoH class, so it's especially important for us to have someone there from his Family Conversations team as we feel without an interpreter the Special Ed classroom would be entirely inappropriate for him. I don't want to start off the school year by being antagonistic, but I really feel like his team needs to be there and I'm kind of the opinion that, well, the school had three months in which to schedule their IEP meeting, and it's not MY fault they left it until the last possible Wednesday, so what can I do? I don't think I'm being unreasonable by asking for his IEP meeting to happen before his third birthday, though maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill by wanting his birth-to-three therapists there. I'm sure they have busy schedules, so I feel kind of guilty. What do you all think? Am I asking too much?
We'll see what the school has to say tomorrow. Wish us luck!