Sunday, March 22, 2009

Surgery Day Tomorrow

Tomorrow Connor will be having his g-tube surgery.

We'll be heading to the hospital in the morning-- we're supposed to be there at 10:15. We're not sure what time the surgery is scheduled for, but it should be over by early afternoon. I don't know who's spending the night at the hospital yet-- only one of us can stay the night-- but if I'm not coming home I'll ask Jer to update all of you on how it went.

We talked about the surgery tonight-- we usually wait until the night before to talk to Connor about major procedures so he doesn't have a chance to get really freaked out about them like he would if we told him several weeks in advance. Connor said he was scared, so we talked about how it was okay to be scared, but that he would be fine and we would both be there when he woke up. Connor's friend Monkey had his g-tube surgery tonight, and is now sporting a fashionable button. Monkey, by some amazing coincidence, has had all of the surgeries that Connor has had, and has the scars to prove it. He also wears orange hearing aids, though I'm not sure how functional they are as they're made of clay and his ears are stuffed with cotton anyway, which is probably detrimental to the hearing process.

Monkey will be accompanying Connor to the hospital and the anesthesiologist will make him go to sleep before Connor goes to sleep. He'll have his tummy bandaged up when Connor wakes up. Monkey has been to the hospital with Connor before, though at the time he was not sporting all of the same scars, and he proved to be a big help, so hopefully Connor will find him to be comfort this time too. The surgery shouldn't last more than a couple of hours, so hopefully he'll be installed in a room by late afternoon. He'll be staying at least overnight.

Hopefully Connor's surgery will go smoothly with no complications, and he'll have a quick recovery. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers tomorrow!


~Jess


14 comments:

Torina said...

I hope everything goes well! I love that monkey...

Greymare said...

I hope all goes well for the surgery, I'm sure it will. The monkey picture is super cute!

Julia O'C said...

Lots of prayers, happy thoughts & positive vibes for Connor (and you and your husband)!!

Connor - There are people you don't even know who think you are a very brave, very miraculous little boy!

Anonymous said...

Here's wishing you everything of the very best!!!!
xxx

Anonymous said...

Lots of positive thoughts going Connor's and Monkey's way. The people at Children's are phenomenal and I'm sure all will go well. Just remember to allow plenty of time to get to the hospital--the traffic is always awful.

Kara said...

Hope that the surgery goes smoothly - sending lots of positive thoughts to all of you.

Michelle said...

Best wishes to all of you (including Monkey!)

Michael and Michelle said...

When I was little I had to have surgery to remove a hernia...I think I was 11 or 12...but I remember being terrified of the unknown. My parents had given me small stuffed dog that the doctors allowed me to "have" with me during the surgery. (They removed it once I was out). When I woke up, the dog had a bandage around it's middle with the word OUCH on it, and was tucked in right under my arm. I was never the wiser, and felt pretty good knowing that my dog did okay with the surgery. It's amazing what can help a child of any age through certain ordeals. I'm so glad Connor has his Monkey to help him along the way. We will keep you all in prayer...

Mary Cyrus said...

The Connor is very much in my thoughts today, very much moreso than the classes I'm "supposed" to be paying attention to. Much love and well wishes from his Aunt Wugaboo.

Lin said...

I'm sending love and prayers for both Monkey and Connor. How sweet that they have each other. (I'm sending some love and prayers your way too, Jess) I'm sure it will go great.

AshleyS said...

praying all goes well and recovery is fast!

Anonymous said...

I'll be checking back until I hear how you all are!! (yes, you too!)

Ellen Seidman said...

Jess, I am so sorry I was behind in blog reading and didn't get to wish you guys well.

Jess said...

Wow, thanks everyone!

Connor and Monkey are both home and doing well!

~Jess

 
Blog Directory