Thursday, September 10, 2009

In Which Connor Sits Like A Big Boy

When I picked Connor up from school today and put him in the car, he shook his head "no" the entire ride home. He wanted me to leave him at school.

I think he's having a good time.

Major accomplishment for him today-- they have a little wooden chair at school with arms on it, and he was able to sit in it at the table without being strapped in or anything! I can't believe how far our little guy has come. I can't wait to see what he'll be doing by the end of the year!

After school, he and I drove up the road an hour or so to one of the adaptive vehicle dealerships in the area to take a look at vans. I brought along the camera so I could take some pictures home to show Jer. Connor and I will go and take a look at a different dealership tomorrow after his appointment at the developmental clinic. We've put together a general picture of what we want, but we plan to shop around and see what's out there so we don't rush into anything.

I also walked through a house today-- it would be absolutely perfect for us (200 square feet more space, wood, tile and low-pile carpet on the floors, tiny little step up to the front that could easily be ramped, island that Jer could use in the kitchen, and even an apple tree!) if not for the bathrooms, neither of which we'd be able to fit a wheelchair in. Since baths for Jer are complicated enough to manage around here as it is (currently involving the wheelchair, a sliding board, a shower chair, two trash bags, saran wrap, a roll of gauze tape, a plastic box, a pillow, an extendable shower head, about eight towels, and a partridge in a pear tree) I don't really think we want to add not fitting through the door to the mix. And I'd like to point out that while I like to think of my husband as my knight in shining armor, I don't want him to emulate the medieval hygienic habits, thank you very much. Bathing is not optional. So we'll keep looking-- I've got a couple of places to call tomorrow. I'm optimistic we'll be able to find something soon.

Things are looking up!

~Jess

3 comments:

Helene said...

On this day, and every day, thank you Jeremy. And thank you Jess. And Connor. And everyone over there, over here. Your love for our country doesn't go unnoticed.

Jennifer Ortiz said...

I agree with above poster, thank you for fighting for us!!

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness you don't have to stall a horse.

 
Blog Directory