Tuesday, October 5, 2010

In Which Connor Is Still Sick And Has A Whole Bunch Of Seizures

I spent the vast majority of today sitting on the couch watching Connor breathe.

The little guy had four seizures today-- probably all febrile seizures as his temperature kept spiking despite being on Tylenol.  I knew he was really feeling terrible when he didn't rip his oxygen tube off the second the seizure was over.  He really hates the nasal cannula.  Needless to say, the day was just a wee bit nerve wracking.

He has pretty much identical symptoms to the last time he was sick, which makes me wonder if this is a recurrence of the same thing and he actually has an infection somewhere-- maybe his ear or a UTI.  More than likely it's just a virus, but I'll be making him an appointment with his pediatrician to get him checked out just in case. 

He slept about eight hours today, mostly on curled up on the aforementioned couch where I could keep a closer eye on him than the apnea monitor offered.  This meant that I didn't leave my house until Jeremy got back from work, and bathroom trips were complicated affairs.  My first Signed Exact English (SEE) class of the semester was tonight, and so I practically threw my poor kid at Jer when he walked inside and zoomed out the door.  I love Connor to death but it's miserable seeing him sick and after a long day of literally sitting there watching him breathe (or not breathe, as the case may be) is not only nerve wracking but also excruciatingly boring. 

I hope he feels better soon!

~Jess

12 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I was actually doing much the same as you, sadly. Watching my daughter as she received a six hour infusion at home and throughout the day, five big seizures. Awful --

I hope your day and Connor's is better tomorrow --

Julia said...

To both Jess and Elizabeth, that sounds like a really stressful and exhausting day. I hope your kids are recovering today, and that you're catching a bit of a breather. Good luck to both of you.

Alicia D said...

oh goodness, this breaks my heart. Ive been watching my daughter's increasing seizures over the past several months, but she hasn't had FOUR in one day since she was aabout 2 years old! that is very scary!

i can relate, and imsending you all my best. hope he feels better soon and you can both feel a bit more at peace....

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

Oh no. I hate those days. I hope Connor feels better soon and the seizures ease off.

xraevision said...

What a rough day, Jess! I can relate somewhat to what you go through with Connor's seizures: the watching your kid mostly breathing all day without rest, the nerve racking terror mixed with boredom - such an odd combination. You must be beyond exhausted, but you went to your class anyway. I hope it was an interesting distraction and that it didn't tax your tired brain too much!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

I'm so, so sorry for your rough day. Praying Connor is mending and you get a sanity break :D

Julie

Searching for Grace said...

I sure hope he feels better soon!!!

krlr said...

(Thurs) I do so very much hope Connor is doing better though I can't remember a morning lately when I haven't sat down to the computer without an update, so that makes me nervous for his sake. Not that you don't have other more important things to do than share with anonymous lurkers like me. But am sending hopeful healthy thoughts your way.

Julia said...

Yeah, I'm a little nervous, too. I hope everything is okay. You'll be in my thoughts all day.

Rose-Marie said...

I hope Connor is doing okay too. I didn't want to say anything about missing your updates for a couple days, but now that others have, it seems okay. I'm praying for you all and hoping things are going fine.

Mary Cyrus said...

Hey all, this is Jessie's sister Mary. Since any absence from her blog (understandably) makes you all concerned, I just wanted to let you know that though Connor is in the hospital, and probably will be for a few days, he's doing quite well. Jess should have wifi later today and will give you more details, I'm sure. :]

Julia said...

Mary, thanks so much for the update. That's very alarming, although I'm glad to hear you say he's doing well. Please give them my love.

 
Blog Directory