Tuesday, November 9, 2010

In Which Connor And I Go To Seattle

Today after school Connor and I drove up to Seattle to get the little guy's blood drawn for his medication levels.  Due to a mix up though it turned out that the orders for the blood draw weren't in, so we couldn't get it done today.  That was a bit frustrating.

Since I was already up in Seattle and didn't want to waste a trip-- and Fast Girl Skates was right around the corner from the hospital-- I stopped by to pick up a skate key and some laces.  Also new bearings.  Also new wheels.  It took every ounce of my willpower not to buy new skates while I was at it.  That place is seriously dangerous.  I left the store in a much better mood though, so that was okay.

Anyway, so then we went to the bookstore by the hospital, because Connor always gets a new book after he has an appointment in Seattle.  He loves books and is always really eager to go get one, so thus far we've managed to keep the hospital a good experience for him.  I don't really want to think about how much fun these little excursions would be if he started being afraid of the hospital, so I'm going to do my very best to keep that positive association as long as possible, even if I have to employ blatant bribery to do it. 

Also I should probably mention that Connor's not the only one who picks out a new book after his hospital appointments.  So I might have had just a teensy bit of a second agenda there when I decided on going to the bookstore as his reward. 

Um, yeah.  Anyway, we of course had to stop by Fran's chocolates and pick up some salted caramels for Jeremy because the store is right there, after all.  And then we headed home, where I spent the next hour happily cleaning my skates and changing over to my new equipment.  I had just enough time when I was finished to change into my gear (I go straight from class to the skating rink) and then it was off to sign class, where of course I had to show everyone that giant bruise on my thigh shaped just like Diane's skate. 

I've been having this overwhelming urge in recent days to show complete strangers my bruises, which is probably not a good way to convince others I'm not totally insane.  Since it's not really appropriate to go up to people I see in the grocery store and start pulling up my pant legs, I've been contenting myself with working the bruises into casual conversation with people I actually know at every opportunity so that I can show them off.  As in: "Nasty weather, isn't it?  The sky is sort of purple-grey, kind of like this giant bruise I have on my thigh!  Wanna see?"

I'm hoping this urge is something that will pass in time so I can stop completely freaking out people I don't know very well.  Either that or I need to get some bruises in places that are easier to show off in the middle of winter.

~Jess

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Showing off bruises is so fun! I'm such a klutz (and a wannabe dancer) and my little brother has rage issues that I always have the coolest bruises. It's like a badge of awesome and funny colors!

Love your blog! Connor is SO cute!! :D

Renate said...

Bruises can be so much fun! I bruise very easily and always have some somewhere on my body. You should have seen me after we were in a roll-over accident some years ago. It was amazing! Coworkers asked me to wear pants and long sleeve shirts because it made them sick to look at my bruises. I wish I had a picture of them. I do, however, have a picture of my leg after I took a fall in front of the local pool. My leg ended up bruised from my knee all the way down to the end of my toes!

krlr said...

Long ago when training for something I had similiar massive, striking bruises up & down my legs. My husband at the time refused to go in public with me if I wore shorts because he was sure he'd be immediately arrested for domestic violence. Not to make a joke out of that but still, he really would NOT come with me.

Wherever HE Leads We'll Go said...

Showing off your bruises to strangers? OK, that is a little weird! I can understand though. It is sort of a badge of honor. I wake up to find new bruises all the time and I have no idea where they come from. How can a person get bruised while sitting on the couch?

 
Blog Directory