Tuesday, November 30, 2010

In Which Connor Is Relentlessly Cheerful And Is Never Sleeping Again

Okay, this is getting sort of ridiculous.

Last night Connor stayed up until four in the morning. He wasn’t upset or anything; he just decided that he was not going to sleep. Period. He sang little songs to himself, warbled at the top of his lungs, and judging by the state of his socks in the morning spent a good portion of the time chewing on his feet.

I have never been the type of person who can stay up until four in the morning and then be just fine the next day, so I have absolutely no idea where Connor inherited this trait from because he was perfectly cheerful and cooperative at school today.  I, however, was not in the best of moods when the alarm went off this morning. I dropped him off and promptly attempted to go back to bed.

Unfortunately I’ve never been the type of person who can nap, either. Basically I spent an hour and twenty minutes lying in bed thinking about all of the things I should be doing other than lying in bed for an hour and twenty minutes. So not only did I not get any of those things done, but I didn’t get any sleep either. I finally got up when it was obvious that sleep was not forthcoming and went to see if I could get a local coffee shop to inject caffeine directly into my bloodstream, as that was about the only way I was going to get through the day.

Thinking Connor was going to absolutely crash at nap time, I went ahead and canceled his speech therapy.  I should have known better; he didn't go down for a nap at all.  Instead he laughed and sang to himself for an hour and a half until I gave up and went in to get him so we could run our errands.
 
One of those errands included a trip to the local department store, where I snagged a copy of Whip It on sale.  Whip It, for those of you who don't know, is a fictional movie directed by Drew Barrymore about roller derby.  I picked it up because since I started on my roller derby saga I can't tell you how many times I've been asked if I've seen "that derby movie with Ellen Page in it."  So I figure I might as well see it so people will stop telling me to watch it. 
 
Because I was so tired, after my sign language class I skipped my usual skating time (I'm skating four to six days a week-- I just don't talk about it every day because you all would probably get tired of hearing about it) and Connor's respite care worker came over.  Joanna just happens to be a medical massage therapist, and she set her table up in our living room and gave me a massage.  I'm apparently a wee bit tight, probably from the combination of lack of sleep and landing on various body parts repeatedly during skating practice.  Normally one massage session every month or so is enough to loosen me up, but I'm going to book her for some time next week instead, which should tell you just how stiff I really am!  I feel a whole lot better but there are definitely still a few kinks to work out.
 
And I'll probably have a few more by the time Joanna can fit me in again, because when she left around ten in the evening guess who was still awake?
 
~Jess

2 comments:

leah said...

Oh, I hope Connor goes to bed tonight and sleeps for a solid block of time! You need to catch some Zzzz's!

At least he's happy!

Jennifer Jayhawk said...

As my mother always said, "there is nothing like a good nights sleep". Hope you get some.

 
Blog Directory