Saturday, October 29, 2011

In Which I Have A Bout And Connor Visits The Pumpkin Patch!

So today was bout day for me; my roller derby team, the Trampires, played the Terrormedixxx up in Bremerton.  This was the first bout my sister had ever seen me play in, so I was hoping it would go well.

Bout day takes up way more time than just showing up shortly before play time; our team lunch today was at 2:00 in the afternoon, which meant we left the house just before 1:00pm to get there.  We ate at this little tiny Filipino place that had an interesting choice in decor-- it was lined on both sides with full size broken refrigerators.  Seriously-- there must have been at least eight fridges in a space slightly larger than my laundry room.  It was very, very strange and more than a little creepy.  Oh well.

While we were eating at the Filipino Lumpia And Broken Refrigerator Emporium, Connor was off with his respite care worker and her family at the pumpkin patch!  First they stopped by to trick-or-treat at Joanna's mom's house though, and he received a giant package of pudding which was apparently the most exciting thing he'd ever seen in his entire life.  He wore his yeti costume again because what the heck-- he likes it and it still fits. 

Then they were off to the pumpkin patch, where Connor was forced to do all sorts of horrible things, like sit in a pile of corn and touch pumpkins and stuff.  Horrors.  He also painted a pumpkin today, which is currently sitting on my kitchen island.  It is very cute, and I'll be putting it out on the porch tomorrow so the whole neighborhood can see what a fantastic budding artist we have in the house!

So the bout was really fun and I felt like I played well, which is always nice.  We lost by quite a bit, but we still had a great time!  A lot of people were dressed up in all sorts of crazy costumes (including some absolutely adorable kids) so I had fun checking out all of the creative get-ups people were wearing.  Jeremy and Mary both got to come, so that was pretty fun too!  I'm glad things worked out to where Mary was able to see me play; I love getting the chance to share the sport I enjoy so much with family. 

And now it's way past my bedtime, so I should probably go to sleep!

~Jess

No comments:

 
Blog Directory