Thursday, October 6, 2011

In Which We Declare A Pajama Day

Since I figured Connor would probably need to take it easy today, I declared the day an official Pajama Day.  This is a made-up holiday in which we both stay in our pajamas and don't brush our hair and spend the entire day lounging around the house and doing absolutely nothing.  Oh, and also there is ice cream involved.  Ice cream is an extremely important part of every Pajama Day.

Or really any day, for that matter.  Yum.

Anyway, you aren't allowed to do anything productive on Pajama Day.  Well, okay, I did spend Connor's nap time sweeping the floor, but I was still in pajamas and dancing to big band music and also on roller skates so it totally doesn't violate the spirit of the holiday. 

So we did pretty much nothing today, and it was great!  I think every once in a while it's important to declare a silly holiday like this one-- it's a chance to relax and really enjoy our time together.  That's not to say that we don't have other days where we sit at home and do nothing-- we definitely do-- but somehow it makes a difference when I declare one deliberately rather than feeling like I'm forced into it because of Connor's health issues. 

Yesterday's Diastat did its work well, because the little guy didn't have a single seizure today!  It was a much needed break for the little guy; by the afternoon he seemed to be feeling much better.  We snuggled, and read lots of books, and sang silly songs and, of course, ate ice cream.  I had mine frozen, and Connor had his microwaved until it was all melty because the cold hurts his teeth.  Both of us thoroughly enjoyed it.

I put on Muppet Treasure Island as a special treat, and Connor politely clapped his hands at the end of every song.  The rousing musical number "Cabin Fever" received particularly enthusiastic applause, so we replayed that scene a few times.  He particularly liked the fruit hats worn by several of the characters.  I think I need to introduce him to some Carmen Miranda films.

Tomorrow it will be back to business as usual; I'll clean the house, we'll run some errands, and so on and so forth-- provided the little guy's brain cooperates, of course.  But Pajama Day did its work well and I'm feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the mountains of housework and other stuff I need to get done. 

Hooray for silly holidays!

~Jess

No comments:

 
Blog Directory