Thursday, February 23, 2012

In Which We Have A Paperwork Day

Another busy day today-- this one filled with a ton of paperwork and phone calls.  I usually designate at least one day a week to handling all of Connor's appointment booking, insurance calls and forms, and I spent several hours at it today.  The little guy has his annual developmental clinic appointment tomorrow, so I needed to make sure we had all our ducks in a row.  We alternate which clinic we're seen in each year, and this year it's the neuromuscular clinic. 

Though come to think of it, I'm pretty sure we saw the neuromuscular team last year.  Oh well. 

Anyway, he'll have about four hours worth of appointments and he'll be missing a day of school, which unfortunately can't be helped.  Because they have to get the team together, they only schedule these for 8:15 in the morning on Fridays.  So there's no way around it.

So after getting his stuff squared away for that, I scheduled a urology appointment for him and got the ball rolling on his physical therapy outside of school.  We'd dropped our outside therapy because Connor was having such a hard time that we were having to cancel constantly, and when we actually did go he was so dang tired he'd just fall asleep in the middle of the session.  Thankfully he's got a lot more energy now and we have some specific things we'd like to work on, so it's time to add it back in.  All the paperwork is now filled out for that, and I'll drop it by the hospital when we're finished with the developmental clinic appointment.  They are at two separate hospitals, of course.

Oh, and the triage nurse for Connor's nephrologist called to talk to me about scheduling the next blood and urine tests for the little guy's creatinine levels.  She's at hospital number three, but we're trying to stack the blood test with Connor's next seizure level check to reduce the number of times he has to be poked, so the test will probably be at hospital number four.

 I am extremely lucky that I can be a stay-at-home-mom, because I have no idea how the heck I'd manage otherwise.  I'd have to assign the cats to making these phone calls, and then instead of Connor having appointments we'd just end up with large mail-order deliveries of canned tuna. 

Finally there was Connor's IEP reevaluation paperwork, which I need to get turned back in so that we can schedule an appointment to talk about next year.  Connor will be changing schools and starting first grade, the thought of which makes me want to put my fingers in my ears and go LA LA LA LA LA because he can't possibly be that big.  He won't be the only kid transitioning of course, so we need to get it turned in so that they have plenty of time to schedule everyone without having to cram them all in at the end of the year.  Connor has a few different options as far as schools, so we'll be looking things over carefully to figure out which program will be the best fit for him. 

This school year is just flying by!

~Jess

2 comments:

maggiemagillicuty said...

Cats make very poor secretaries. I speak from experience.

Julia said...

1st grade?!? No way. I remember 1st grade very clearly -- that's Big Kid terrain.

 
Blog Directory