Tuesday, July 24, 2012

In Which I Garden And The Cats Go On Patrol

Connor and I spent some time out in the yard today, and once I got most of my small projects done out there I just had to go down to the nursery and get some more plants so I could create twice as many projects as I had before.  Because that's how I roll.

With all the outdoor things I was doing today after Connor's bedtime I spent quite a bit of time going in and out our screen door at twilight, and I seem to have invited every bug in the general vicinity in with me.  So the cats are going absolutely nuts right now; they take their role as the Bug Destroyers of the house very seriously, and the war is on. 

Cricket has been stalking a crane fly for the last twenty minutes, and so she's been alternating between stalking the bug, leaping wildly into the air, and sitting beneath it making little chirping noises to coax it down so she can kill it.  She completely ignores bugs on the other side of our windows (unlike Loki, who is convinced he can eat them through the glass) but she will methodically hunt down absolutely every insect that dares venture into our house.

Loki is a bit more direct with his bug catching.  His strategy is to run pell-mell after the bug until it either flies too high, he loses interest, or he skids into a wall.  Loki is not a subtle creature by any stretch of the imagination, but somehow he still seems to get lucky.  Maybe the bugs are laughing too hard to get out of his way.

Seriously-- despite their different strategies, these two are so good at catching bugs that they keep the house pretty much insect free.  I have no idea how the heck the gerbil managed to survive not one, but two escape attempts with our cats on the job.  Maybe it's because the crane flies aren't intelligent enough to hide under the couch.

Crazy cats.

~Jess

2 comments:

Lin said...

My cats never hurt the escaped hamsters. For some reason, they just sort of "knew" they were family members and should not be eaten. Thank goodness for that. Can't imagine my kid's face if her hamster got eaten by the pet cat. Blech.

Kathryn said...

Cats and dogs love to chase bugs. my dog loves to eat baby grasshoppers. Yuck!

 
Blog Directory