Tuesday, December 28, 2010

In Which I Get Back To Skating

I eased off on the skating during the holiday season. This was for a variety of reasons.

The main reason was that I managed to bruise the crud out of my sternum and the ribs on my right side over a particularly violent week of derby practice.  Breathing became extremely fun, as did lifting my arms over my head, carrying Connor, and a wide variety of other exciting activities.  And then I caught a cold. 

Let me tell you, coughing with a bruised sternum is not fun.

My lack of skating also might have had something to do with the fact that it was the holiday season, and that Jer was off of work, and also possibly that I had a large quantity of new books and a huge supply of chocolate that wasn't going to eat itself, you know. 

It was a terribly hard job, but somebody had to do it.

Anyway, so what with the bruising and the coughing and family togetherness and the sitting around eating massive quantities of chocolate there wasn't a whole lot of skating going on, something that after returning to the rink today I am seriously regretting.  However, my chest is finally feeling like it's not going to split open every time I take a deep breath anymore, so it's time to get back to work! 

My leg muscles don't currently seem to agree with me, however.  I believe they prefer the sitting around and eating chocolate, and they are now protesting the return to physical activity.  Loudly.

I intended to ease back into things-- I wasn't planning on spending more than two hours at the skating rink.  But there's something almost hypnotic about skating around in a circle for a while; you sort of lose track of the time.  As a result I spent four hours at the rink instead and my leg muscles are now in open rebellion. 

Oh well-- they'll settle down eventually.  Maybe if I eat more chocolate it will make them feel better.  Chocolate solves all problems.

At least I got enough sleep last night.  And Connor had no seizures or anything, which was also awesome!  So that was a good thing.  I enjoyed the holidays thoroughly, but they're just about over now (and also I'm almost out of chocolate) so it's time to get back to business.  Hopefully Connor feels the same way and will quit with the shenanigans!

~Jess

No comments:

 
Blog Directory