Saturday, April 16, 2011

In Which We Go On Safari

Today Jeremy, Connor and I hopped in the car and drove down to Northwest Trek!

Northwest Trek, for the benefit of those who don't live in the local area, is a large wildlife park located a stone's throw south of our town.  It's got a big free-roaming herbivore exhibit (accessed by a tram tour) as well as a number of other smaller exhibit areas for native animals, most of whom for one reason or another can no longer survive in the wild on their own. 

This is the first family outing we've taken with Connor for a non-medical activity that's been more than three or four miles from home and has lasted more than an hour or so in a long, long time.  With the return of his good health and a rare day with clear skies, we figured that it was a great time to see how he'd do.  He had a great time!  The park wasn't very crowded and other than a large pack of wild roaming teenage boys people were for the most part pretty courteous. 

Connor seemed to especially enjoy the hour or so long tram ride.  It was fully accessible and Connor got to ride comfortably in his chair while he watched out the windows.  While he missed a lot of the wildlife because he was more interested in viewing the scenery, a few of the creatures like the buffalo and moose were impossible for him to overlook and he certainly seemed interested.  Jer and I enjoyed the ride as well; we've missed these family outings and it was lovely to get the chance to spend time together again having adventures as a family outside of our cozy house. 

As the tram pulled back into the station and we prepared to leave, the woman in the next seat stood up, leaned over to me and said in a low voice:  "I've been watching your son, and I just want to say to you that I'm so moved by him.  He's just a beautiful boy."  She beamed over at Connor for a quick second and then turned and left the tram without another word. .  "Thank you," I called after her, a little bemused.  I never know quite what to say in situations like that.   Connor, completely oblivious to the fact that he'd effortlessly captured yet another heart just by being his ridiculously adorable self, was too busy applauding the tram driver for her excellent driving skills to pay attention and never even noticed the woman at all. 

After we finished the tram ride we toured the rest of the park, visiting the birds of prey, large cats, wolves, bears, and other forest animal exhibits.  Connor also got to spend some time up close and personal with a skunk and a beaver and to feel various animal pelts and horns.  We ate lunch in the cafe on the property, wheeled around their short accessible nature trail and then packed up and headed back to the house. 

All in all it was a day well spent!



leah said...

Yay for a good day! The wildlife park looks spectacular - I like the fact that they have pelts, etc. for the kids to actually touch.

Pam/D'ville said...

Looks like everyone had a wonderful day! I'm so glad you were able to have this family time doing something so enjoyable.

I am curious to know if you ever found Connor's hearing aids; did you?

Fiona said...

Sounds lovely, and the pictures are great. In the one of Connor and Jer they both look so happy.

And I also need to know - any sign of the hearing aids yet?!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

What a great day! And an awesome park!

I keep meaning to ask you about Jeremy. You haven't mentioned anything in a long time about his recovery, which is probably a good sign. And I see him in the pics, looks like walking without any assistance.

All good news? How is he doing?


Blog Directory