Thursday, June 16, 2011

In Which I Feel Better And Connor Is A Blowfish

Sorry about yesterday!  I ended up spending most of my day on the couch, surrounded by tissues and miserably trying to stay awake while Connor watched far more Fraggle Rock episodes than was probably good for him.  We were at that glorious point where the little guy (who almost always gets sick first) was feeling a whole lot better and wanted to play at the same time that I was hoping someone would just take me out behind the barn and put me out of my misery.

While Connor obviously felt about 800 times better he wasn't completely recovered, though.  He'd be playing with a toy for about fifteen minutes and then his head would start nodding and his eyes would flutter shut.  He'd lean sideways and take a five or ten minute nap before snorting awake, giggling and going back to playing.  I tried to put him down for a nap, figuring he really needed one as narcolepsy is not one of the conditions on his ridiculously long list of medical issues, but the second I'd lay him down he'd suddenly become The Most Awake Boy The World Has Ever Known and start yelling at the top of his lungs until I gave up and picked him back up. 

Today was quite a bit better for both of us.  I no longer feel like death warmed over, and Connor seems to be pretty much completely recovered.  I put him back in his back brace for the first time since he got sick, and he wasn't particularly thrilled about it.  He kept holding his breath and trying to puff himself up like a blowfish.  I think he was emulating the Incredible Hulk and trying to bust out of his back brace with his crazy chest muscles.  When that didn't work, he tried exercising his crazy pouting muscles.  After that he gave up.

He enjoyed his next-to-last day of school (can you believe summer is starting already?), although I forgot to tell his teacher that he seems to be allergic to something in the air right now-- possibly the weed pollen, as it's really bad this year-- and so when they went out to recess he ended up with a case of hives.  Luckily they were pretty much gone by late afternoon, but they lasted long enough for me to go on a major Mommy Guilt Trip.  I'm pretty good at those.

Because of the way Connor currently breaks out in spots whenever we enjoy nature, I haven't been able to have him outdoors for more than five minutes at a time for the last couple of weeks, so you can just imagine what my yard was starting to look like.  While I would have really liked to have used the time Connor was at school for sleeping, I ended up mowing the lawn and weeding instead.  It was starting to look sort of like a jungle out there.  Luckily the days are getting longer so I'll have more time to work in the yard once Jeremy gets home in the evening.  I finished my arbor a while ago and it's been leaning up against the house waiting for me to dig the holes to put it in place.  I'm hoping to get that done this weekend, once I have a larger lung capacity and am actually able to breathe.

So I think the worst is probably over, which I'm very thankful for!  I'm looking forward to getting back to our regular routine.  And also not feeling miserable and stuff.  That's good too.

~Jess

2 comments:

krlr said...

I just made my son watch fraggle rock! (he wanted spongebob). I figure it is my duty as his parent to introduce him to only the BEST brainnumbing activities. On MY wish list are also all the old muppet shows - maybe Santa will bring this year (for him, of course. A girl's got to have her dignity). Glad you're both feeling better.

Julia O'C said...

Good grief. No one is going to judge you for letting Connor watch lots of TV when you're both sick! Besides, it was Fraggle Rock, which is practically required watching in my opinion. It's not like you were letting him watch Real Housewives Give Donald Trump an Extreme Jersey Shore Makeover (which isn't a show, but totally should be).

I loved the description of Connor trying to burst from his back brace! It must have been hard to keep a straight face for that.

 
Blog Directory