Friday, June 10, 2011

In Which I Go To Canada

So tomorrow I'm headed up to Canada!  I'm having an overwhelming impulse to write "eh" at the end of all my sentences right now.  I'll try to restrain myself.

I've got a roller derby bout in Vancouver, BC so I'll be carpooling up there with some gals bright and early tomorrow morning.  I'm sad to say that even though we've been in Washington state for over four and a half years now, Jer and I have yet to explore anything north of the border in this area.  We've been up to Cape Breton in Nova Scotia a time or two, but that's literally on the other side of the continent.  So it was about time for a road trip!

Jer will have to wait another day to make his trip up because Connor is a a little young for an enhanced driver's license and doesn't have a passport yet.  So Jeremy and Connor will have a couple of Daddy Days while I'm off galavanting about with the ladies.  I wouldn't leave if the little guy was still being Seizy McSeizykin, but his medication change seems to have helped; he only had one today and seemed to be in much better spirits.  It would be just for my peace of mind if I did stay home anyway; Jeremy is an extremely competent parent and is just as effective at dealing with all of Connor's glorious medical emergencies as I am. 

Still, at some point we'll have to get Connor a passport and then we can all go up together and find some fun things to do, such as explore the Canadian health care system.  There are a whole bunch of emergency rooms we haven't toured yet up there! 

Oh, and we could go to the zoo and museums and whatnot too.  That would also be fun.

I'll be taking my trusty laptop with me but I'm not sure what kind of Internet I'll be able to find, so you may or may not see a blog here tomorrow depending on my access.  I'll be back by Sunday evening, so (if it was interrupted) your regularly scheduled programming will resume at that time.  I'm really excited about this trip-- I think it's going to be a blast. 

Wish me luck, eh?

~Jess

4 comments:

Kristin said...

We're planning a trip to Canada with our crew and have been researching this. Connor does not need a passport if he travels to Canada by land (would it by air).

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html

it's somewhere towards the middle but it says:

The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate (original, photocopy or certified copy), Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate.


You can start the tour of the Canadian Health Care system earlier then you thought.

leah said...

I'm glad that Connor's new medication mix is helping - that is a relief! Have fun in Canada, eh?

Maybe the whole family can go up sooner than you thought - I didn't realize that kids under the age of16 were exempt from the passport rule (awesome news for us, too: Toronto, here we come)!

Julia O'C said...

Getting a child a passport isn't difficult, and it will make easier on him he becomes a double-secret agent and needs to leave the country quickly for covert operations. V & E both have passports for that very reason. The girl-child in particular is very sneaky. I think she has a promising future ahead of her.

I hope you have an absolute blast with your derby girls (though I know that you will)!!! I hear Vancouver is a great city. Be safe!

Kirsten said...

I don't normally comment but feel the need for a dose of Conner cuteness. :) Have fun at your derby, I truly wish we had teams around here. I love to skate. Post a picture of the cutie soon please?

 
Blog Directory