Sunday, June 12, 2011

In Which I Have A Fantastic Time In Vancouver

I'm back!

The trip to Vancouver was an absolute blast and I had a tremendously good time.  We ended up winning our bout against the Terminal City Rollergirls' team the Riot Girls (I believe the final score was 89-193), but even if we hadn't it would have been a great game anyway.  I was skating with a pick-up team called the Tide Pool which was composed of members of all four of our home teams, so I got the chance to skate with quite a few people I normally skate against.  For a team that had only practiced together twice, we didn't do too badly! 

The atmosphere was laid back and fun, and we all really enjoyed ourselves.  Everyone played a nice clean game, there were no major injuries, and our hosts were extremely gracious.  All in all I'd say it was a near-perfect road trip!

Of course we got lost.  That's pretty much a guarantee any time you travel in a car with me anywhere that I'm not intimately familiar with.  But sometimes you find some really cool places while getting lost.  For example, on this trip I got lost looking for the place I was meeting one of our referees who was riding back with me, and I ended up driving through the million-dollar house section of Vancouver.  It was pretty amazing, even if it did take me an extra half an hour to get to the hotel.  Of course that might have also been because I was driving fifteen miles an hour.  Those were some really cool houses.

We didn't explore the city a whole lot because of time constraints, but we did stop at a really neat little farmer's market where we ate some fantastic local food and I picked up a souvenir or two.  It's a beautiful city and I'd love to go back and explore it with Jeremy and Connor some time when we have more time to stay and can really see the sights.

Connor had a quiet day yesterday but apparently had a couple of seizures today, and when I went in to check on him after I got home this evening he was really congested, so he might be getting sick.  Tomorrow we should find out what his blood levels looked like and see whether or not we need to adjust anything else medication wise.  I'm hoping he feels better in the morning. 

So over all the trip went pretty smoothly, but all the same I'm glad to be home! 

~Jess

2 comments:

Julia O'C said...

Vancouver real estate is outrageous. I don't know how anyone can afford to live there.

I'm SO happy you had a good time!!! I'm not surprised, mind you, but still very happy. You deserve a break.

Sorry the little guy is still struggling. I hope this cold is short-lived and that the seizures stop soon.

krlr said...

Whee! Congratulations on your win. I got lost once in my own subdivision so I hear you. Granted I'd just moved in but I was 8 mos pregnant & was walking neither far nor fast. Funny!

 
Blog Directory