Monday, December 26, 2011

In Which My Child Is Rip Van Winkle And It's Fantastic

So there's one major advantage to the ridiculous month and a half of Connor's All Diseases, All The Time saga we've been living.

For the first time in literally years, my child has been consistently sleeping through the night.

Not only that, but he's been taking actual naps during the day, too.  This is pretty much unprecedented in our household.    I mean, yeah, my kid is probably only sleeping because his body is exhausted after combating, over a five week period, strep throat, RSV, a g-tube infection, double pink eye and this latest GI bug, so I'm not sure how long this is going to last, but let me tell you I have been taking full advantage of the situation and will continue to do so as long as I possibly can. 

Honestly it feels a little weird, getting a whole eight hours of sleep (or more!) a night, and the occasional nap as well.  It's been so long since I've gone a full week without staying up until three or four in the morning that my body clock is all wonky, and the first few nights Connor dropped off right after we put him down I lay in bed staring at the ceiling for a long time, trying to fall asleep through sheer willpower and failing miserably.  Now I'm getting a full nights rest and actually dreaming again (or remembering my dreams, anyway) for the first time in months: probably because I'm actually getting through a couple of uninterrupted sleep cycles. 

I've always had incredibly vivid, multiple-night dream sagas with complicated storylines-- which is probably yet more evidence of just how strange I actually am-- and I've missed them.  I can usually pick up where I left off the night before when I go to sleep, and sometimes I can direct what happens in them, though they usually contain bits and pieces of my day mixed up in them.  My dreams have been heavy on velociraptors and bears recently; probably because Jeremy is home and keeps singing songs about their epic battles to Connor.  Oh well.  It's just nice to have dreams again.

Oh, and another major side effect of getting enough sleep is that I'm not having to slather on the concealer so that my Giant Under-Eye Circles Of Doom aren't the main feature of my face.  Also I'm not needing massive amounts of caffeine just to function normally.  That's kind of nice too.

So while I'm hoping that the little guy will get better soon and quit playing Pass The Germs with everyone he meets, I wouldn't mind if he made a habit out of the going-to-bed-on-time thing!  I could really get used to this sleep stuff.  Velociraptors and all.

~Jess

No comments:

 
Blog Directory