Sunday, March 4, 2012

In Which We Have A Great Day

So I went to the sewing expo today, and it simultaneously awe inspiring and really depressing all at the same time.  It was awe inspiring because of the sheer amount of talent concentrated in the space; I've never seen so many gorgeous quilts, christening gowns, art dolls, and hats in my entire life.  It was depressing for the same reason-- I was completely overwhelmed by the glorious creativity of these people and the stuff I've made doesn't compare well. 

Oh well-- I'll keep plugging along!

My favorite booth by far was one called "Treasures of the Gypsy," which is based out of New Mexico, and if you live in New Mexico I seriously envy you right now because they don't do online sales so I have to wait a whole entire year to go shopping there again.  The entire top of the booth was covered with beautiful art dolls of every shape and size, and the booth was full of silk, antique saris, trim and ribbon of every variety imaginable, and about fifteen different colors of sequins.  I didn't take any close up pictures of the art dolls because they're someone else's work, but believe me when I say that they were stunning.

I may possibly have bought a ridiculous number of sequins, but hey, they are really, really hard to find.  The last time I went to the craft store and asked for sequins the employee had no idea what I was talking about.  Really.  Apparently the only people who use sequins now are me, figure skaters and drag queens.  So I was pretty excited to not only find some sequins, but to find them in some unusual colors. 

Other purchases included some mirrors and rings for shisha embroidery, and a large piece of glorious hand-dyed felt in blues, purples and greens.  I'm intrigued by the idea of incorporating shisha mirrors into my felt projects.  I have all sorts of ideas, but of course my crafting supplies are scattered all over the place right now while we work on the studio and also I have several projects I need to finish up before I start anything new.  I might sketch a few things out for later, though.

So after I finished playing at the sewing expo I ate some lunch, came back home and we all went out for a nice walk around the neighborhood.  The sun came out today and the weather was just beautiful, so it was the perfect day for a walk.  Once we got back home I picked up a spade and did a bit of gardening.  I got a few plants in the ground and was happy to see that the garden only suffered a few casualties over the winter.

So overall it was a lovely day!

~Jess

~Jess

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I used to have an over the shoulder bag with shisha embroidery on it that I got in New Zealand. Unfortunately, it was destroyed while I was storing it in my mom's house while I was in college :( Its super beautiful artwork!

 
Blog Directory