Wednesday, March 7, 2012

In Which Patience Is A Virtue I Don't Possess And Connor Feels Lousy

No phone call today.

Okay, realistically I should know better than to expect the agency to call me the first day they are back in the office.  The Thailand adoption director calls every family in the program personally to talk about the trip.  If there are only, say, a dozen families in the program and she spends only half an hour on the phone with each one (and I would imagine these calls usually take more than half an hour because the families want to squeeze every last detail of the trip out of the director), calls the next family instantly and doesn't take any bathroom breaks or anything that's still six hours of phone calls.  And she's been out of the office for over a week, so I'm sure she has absolutely nothing to catch up on in between phone calls-- not to mention all of the compiling of the information that she has to do of the children that the families in the waiting child program are attempting to adopt and the sixty or so other kids that aren't matched with families yet.  And of course last year it took them a couple of days to call me. 

So yeah, logically I shouldn't have expected one today.  Now if I could just shut off that annoying inner voice that keeps screaming about how I should be FIRST because MY child is the MOST IMPORTANT child and I need all of the information RIGHT NOW, I'll be good to go. 

Patience-- not my best virtue.  I need to work on that. 

I think that Connor is getting sick again-- the little guy was super sniffly and tired today.  When I put him in his stander, he was okay for about five minutes and then his lower lip started quivering and his eyes filled with tears.  It was the saddest thing ever-- especially since he almost never cries.  He calmed down quickly after I stroked his hair for a little bit, sang him a song and covered the top of the stander tray with a nice soft cloth.  Then he put his forearms on the tray, lay his head down on top of them and took a nap while standing up.  That was his third nap of the day, so you know he wasn't feeling good. 

I felt really guilty about making him do his standing work even though he was obviously feeling under the weather, but if he's getting sick than he'll probably be completely wiped out the next few days and so it was important to get what therapy we could done today while he's still able to do it.   On Wednesdays he doesn't have school, so what we do at home is the only therapy he gets that day.  After the short meltdown and his twenty-minute nap he perked back up and seemed to be feeling okay by the end of his standing hour.  Once I took him out he snuggled up to me, crashed on my chest and slept for another hour or so.  It's difficult to know just how hard to push him sometimes.

I hope that today was just a fluke and he's feeling better tomorrow.  This winter has been a tough one for the little guy in the health department, so he deserves to catch a break!



Anonymous said...

Each time I go to your blog, my antivirus says it has to block the following threat:

file name:

threat name: Exploit Blackhole Exploit Kit (type 2129)

I love reading your blog and cheering for Connor. Norwegian Nightmare's sister, Sarah

Jess said...

Oh, weird! Let me see if I can figure out how to fix that. I definitely don't want to be giving people viruses!

Jess said...

Okay, it should be fixed now. Please let me know if you have any more issues. Thanks so much!

Blog Directory