Saturday, August 11, 2012

In Which Connor Wasn't Sick And I Sew Some More

Connor started out feeling pretty punky this morning, but he slowly improved as the day went on.  I mentioned yesterday that he wasn't feeling well, but I didn't tell you all why.  Without going into too much detail he wasn't sick; we had a substitute night nurse this week. The week didn't go well from a nursing-care standpoint for a variety of reasons, and the problem culminated yesterday when the nurse accidentally left Connor's g-tube intake valve open, assumed his seizure medication had immediately run back out it and decided to just give him another full dose of Keppra. 

By the time I found out about it, enough time had gone by that he'd already absorbed the medication and emptying out his stomach wouldn't do any good.  So Connor spent all day yesterday acting like he was sedated, and I spent the day hovering to make sure he was still breathing and/or not slipping into a coma, which can happen when you overdose on Keppra.  Fun times.

Needless to say, I called the nursing service and we will not be seeing that particular nurse at our home again.  I will be very, very happy when our wonderful regular nurse is back next week. 

So it's taken quite a bit of time for the drug to work its way out of his system and he was still a bit loopy this morning.  However by the end of the day he perked up and seemed to be feeling much better.  We even got out to a few local stores, though we kept it pretty close to home. 

I spent the time he was sleeping it off working on the butterfly Christmas stocking, which is coming along nicely.  I have the first butterfly done and I'll be starting on the second (of seven) tomorrow.  I had no idea how much I missed sewing until I started getting into this project in earnest; it's very relaxing and I'm able to let my mind wander while I'm working.  I also forgot just how much I love seeing a project I can picture in my head come to life in fabric.

Of course, I wasn't really excited about the reason I had all this sewing time, but oh well.  The project will probably slow down a bit after today until Connor's in school again, but that's okay because I'd much rather Connor be active and awake than conked out!

~Jess 

3 comments:

Julia O''C said...

That woman is going to lose her license - or worse.

So, so glad that Connor is okay.

Anonymous said...

OMG so happy conner's ok

Mary Cyrus said...

Ack! I have my pitchfork and torch. Lemme at her.

 
Blog Directory