Tuesday, August 28, 2012

In Which We Have A Near Miss

Today one of my neighbors came over and had a cup of tea, and as a result I ended up nearly killing us all, which made for an interesting day. 

We have a gas stove, and apparently when I took the kettle off the stove I accidentally jogged one of the other burner knobs just enough to turn the gas on.  It proceeded to leak through our conversation and well into the day.  Connor was down for his nap and I was unloading the dishwasher a couple of hours later when I started getting a pretty good headache and noticed there was a weird smell in the kitchen.  That's when I also realized it wasn't the fridge making that soft hissing noise I'd been hearing the whole time I was in there.

So I quickly turned off the burner, threw open all the windows, stuck the cats in their carriers and hauled them and Connor outside.  We spent a couple hours out of the house, and when we came back in the smell was gone and everything had aired out.  But I'm glad I noticed it before I decided to turn on my dishwasher, because blowing up my house was totally not on the agenda today.

Whee.

~Jess

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh my goodness! Glad you all are okay.

Kerri said...

Wow. Thankfully everyone is okay. Next time go out for tea!

Marc said...

Probably a good thing your not into candles either.

I'm sure they make gas detecting devices in the northwest, probably a good idea to find one, you know, so it doesn't happen again.

 
Blog Directory