Thursday, August 9, 2012

In Which I Get Crafty

I've been sitting on my craft room project for a while, but I really want to get it finished up before Connor is in school so I can finally get back to sewing, dang it!  I have a ton of projects I need to finish up and I have to have a place to work on them that the cats can't get into.  It's really hard to finish a project when every time you leave it for more than three minutes at a time you have to dig it out from under the refrigerator when you get back.

So I've got the main painting done, and I'm starting to move the furniture in and figure out where I want everything to go.  I was originally going to go with the same gray that our bedroom and the outside of the house are painted, but I decided that I wanted something a tad funkier.  The color I picked out is by Sherwin Williams and is called "Stunning Shade," which has to be the most unoriginal name for a color ever.  It's basically a deep gray with purple undertones.  On my wall it looks either gray or deep purple, depending on the time of day.  I know most people prefer their studios to be white, but I like color! 

I laid down a carpet remnant left over from the house remodel as a rug, and started putting the major pieces of furniture in place.  I've still got one wall to cover (I'm not sure in what yet, but probably fabric) and I need to hang all the shelves, but it's at least a beginning.

So things are moving along.  My next big project in there will be putting up the ceiling track.  I need a Cozy Little Nook kind of studio area, not an Inescapably In The Garage area, and if I don't rig up a partition between my space and the rest of the garage I'll be stuck with the latter.  I've got some huge canvas drop cloths that, by the time I'm finished with them, will hopefully be fabric walls provided I don't screw them up.  We'll see how things go.

I think that getting the studio itself ready won't be the part that takes the longest-- it will be organizing all my craft stuff.  Today I tackled my bead collection; I'm fond of making jewelry and spent three years living within twenty miles of the largest bead store in North America, so I have a rather extensive stash.  This, of course, is the bead collection that Loki helped me organize a few months ago by dumping the entire tray on the floor.  So I spent about three hours over the course of the day separating out all the beads and organizing them in their new home; the antique printer's tray I found in an antique store a while back.  It's now safely out in the cat-free garage, so if this one tumps over I'll have no one to blame but myself.

I can't wait to get back to making things!

~Jess

No comments:

 
Blog Directory