Monday, July 18, 2011

In Which Connor Is Suddenly Fine

So I didn't end up needing that overnight bag after all!

Yes, my child took the "miraculous recovery" route; he slept an unbelievable seventeen hours straight and then woke up at seven in the morning happy as a clam.  Not only did he not have a single seizure today, but except for a slight difference in muscle tone probably brought on by yesterday's Diastat he was his normal, happy self.  Thanks so much for all your prayers, support and well-wishes. 

I'm so relieved! 

Even so, I'm still I'm wondering what the heck was up with yesterday.  I mean, seriously-- did the kid think we weren't getting enough excitement around the house or what?  Maybe it was the weird sleeping habits he's been keeping recently.  Maybe his brain got bored and decided a game of Neuron Whack-A-Mole was a good idea.  I have no clue what happened, but I"m sure glad that he's feeling much better!

So instead of spending the day at the hospital like I expected to, instead I spent it shopping online for costume parts.  I just discovered that the theme for this year's Steamcon, to be held in October, is "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea."  As you all probably know, I absolutely love Jules Verne and my roller derby name, Gita Kraken, is a nod to his fantastic storytelling.  And did I mention that my number is 20K?  So obviously I must go to this years Steamcon, and I must revel in all my nerdy glory by dressing up in a costume.  Preferably a roller derby steampunk costume, which might just be the coolest idea I have ever had in my entire life provided I can actually figure out a way to pull it off.  This is what happens, people, when I get all worked up about possibly taking Connor into the hospital and then he suddenly recovers.  All of that nervous energy has to go somewhere.

For those of you who have no idea what the heck I'm talking about, here's a quick explanation of steampunk.  And Jules Verne, though I will be very disappointed in you all if you don't already know who Jules Verne is.  Also the kraken.  Basically it's like they designed this entire convention specifically for me.

Anyway, I spent Connor's nap time sketching up wildly impractical costume ideas and trying to figure out how to incorporate functional roller derby gear into them, which was a whole lot of fun.  This would be the first costume I've ever made for one of these things, thereby catapulting me into the official realm of the Really, Extremely Nerdy.  However, I figure I've been dressing up in various types of roller derby costumes for the last nine months or so, so this really isn't a big step for me. 

And of course I will have to make Connor a matching costume.  Because Connor in a little leather aviator hat with goggles would only be just about the cutest thing known to mankind. 

I'm so happy he's okay!

3 comments:

krlr said...

I'm so happy he's OK today! I was thinking about you guys yesterday.

[Also, sorry my response was all me-me-me but you clearly touched a nerve w/the momnmy guilt reference. Am much happier dwelling in the depths w/your kraken & not so much my submerged issues]

Herding Grasshoppers said...

That is GREAT news! I mean Connor's recovery. But the whole steam-punk-Jules-Verne-Gita-Kraken thing sounds like a hoot. And you deserve a good hoot!

Julia O'C said...

I have one thing to say about your steampunk roller derby adventure:

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

Also, happy dance for Connor!!!

 
Blog Directory