Sunday, July 10, 2011

In Which I Find Some Art On The Avenue

Today I woke up early and drove to Tacoma to check in for Art on the Ave.  AotA is an annual arts and crafts show that happens on one of the main streets in the city.  My roller derby league has had a booth there for a few years running and it's one of our big promotional events.  This year we also had room to set up a miniature track so we could hold a scrimmage or two and show off our skating skills. 

This is actually the first year I've ever been to AotA, so I didn't really know what to expect.  It was huge!  There were over 100 vendors there, two stages, a skating ramp, a dog fashion show, and a whole lot more.  A ton of people turned out and quite a few stopped by to chat and get more information about the crazy sport of roller derby.  I had a whole lot of fun people watching, too.  Craft fairs seem to be great places in general for that sort of thing; they really bring out all kinds of folks.

After my shift was over I of course had to check out the rest of the craft fair.  You all know how I am about these sorts of things; how could I pass up the opportunity to look at so many great things people have made?  And of course a few of those great things had to come home with me.  I ended up buying a neat t-shirt with a kraken on it (of course) and this amazing mirror framed in salvaged wood and decoupaged with letters of the alphabet and an octopus wearing a crown.  I haven't decided yet if I'll put it in Connor's room, by our front door or in the hallway near the kids' rooms yet, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.  I have a small pile of artwork right now that needs to find a home in my house, so that's another project for me to work on at some point.

I also got some henna done, because I know the artist who was working today and besides, henna is awesome.  It's the perfect tattoo for people like me who change their minds way too much to get a real tattoo. 

Connor and Jeremy stayed home; Connor had another small seizure today and apparently felt a little punky.  I started feeling a bit under the weather myself this evening, to tell you the truth, but that may be because despite taking precautions and dunking myself in sunscreen I managed to still get sunburned.  Sunburns do that sort of thing to me.

The sunburn was worth it though, because Art on the Ave was a total blast.  I can't wait to go next year and see what cool (and probably octopus or squid related) things I can find then!

~Jess

No comments:

 
Blog Directory