Tuesday, July 12, 2011

In Which Connor And I Are Much Improved And I Consider A Letter To Ellen

Connor and I both felt about 800 times better today.  In fact, I felt perfectly fine.  I suspect that maybe the late lunch I ate on Sunday at Art on the Ave really didn't agree with me and that was the root of the problem.  This is the second time in the past couple of months that I've managed to get food poisoning, and I can now say conclusively that I don't recommend it as a regular recreational activity.

Bleagh.

Anyway, Connor did much better today as well; his fever broke last night and he seemed to be feeling so much better today that we actually left the house in the morning and tooled around the mall for a little while, looking for things to put in Ellen's care package.  He started feeling a little punky again in early afternoon and left after he had a short seizure.  He had one more in the evening, but both were less than 15 seconds long so I'd say he is definitely on the mend.  Either that or the Diastat is still working, but he really seemed to be so much better today that I'm going to go with the former explanation. 

Anyway, we found some locally made caramel corn and a book of stickers for Ellen, both of which she can probably share with her friends.  I think that with the addition of another letter to the orphanage (and maybe a short one to Ellen this time) that this care package will be finished.  We'll write those in the next week or so and send them to our agency for translation.  We'll put Ellen's letter in an unsealed envelope and make sure the orphanage director knows about it so that she can read it, and if she feels it's inappropriate she can take it out of the package. 

If we do end up writing a letter to Ellen this will be our first direct communication with her.  It's really hard to figure out just what to say; how do exactly do we introduce ourselves to the girl who will be our daughter?  There are so many things that we want to tell her, but it's difficult to know where to start.  I'm trying hard to imagine what kind of questions she probably would like to know the answers to.  Some of those questions-- like when we'll meet her for the first time-- I'd like the answers to myself. 

I'm sure Jer and I will sit down, pour out our hearts and after a few dozen drafts manage to come up with something that sounds about right.

~Jess

2 comments:

Julia O'C said...

Ask her, "What is the velocity of an unladen swallow?"

No, seriously....what DO you say? This is going to haunt me now.

krlr said...

I'm with Julia... what DO you say? We'd like to feed & clothe you, & give you a curfew? By the way, what's your favorite color?

I have no doubt you'll write something sweet, beautiful, age appropriate, and which, should you deign to share, will leave me weepy at my desk in the morning.

 
Blog Directory