Thursday, July 14, 2011

In Which Connor Tickles The Ivories And Ellen Gets A Bed

Today Connor rediscovered his keyboard as his Favorite Toy In The Whole Wide World.  He spent a good portion of the day mashing his hand down on the keys and then grinning at the cacophony.  He also gets an extremely serious and focused look on his face when I help him play "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star."  It's extremely cute.

As soon as I find my camera cable (missing since our vacation) I'll have to take some pictures to show you all how ridiculously adorable he looks while he is making the keyboard sound like a dying cat. 

I was happy to see him take some initiative and actually play with the keyboard on his own; lately it seems like he doesn't want to touch any of his toys by himself.  I'm not sure what exactly is going on there; this kid goes through some weird phases sometimes.  I was starting to worry that this whole refusal to interact with his toys was somehow related to all the seizures he's had and that maybe he was losing some skills, but now I just think he's being stubborn.  Oh well.  We'll be adding back in some more deep pressure sensory work and hopefully he'll get back to using his hands more often!

For the most part we stayed home today, though we did run one very important errand.  We bought Ellen's bed today!  This is the first piece of furniture we've gotten specifically for her, so I was pretty excited about it.  It's a very feminine white trundle bed with porcelain knobs on the posts that looks really similar to the bed I had growing up.  Over the next few months I'll be slowly transitioning our former craft room into Ellen's room, and buying her bed was the first big step!  Items of furniture still on the list for us to find include a dresser and a desk.  Her room is relatively small, so we'll stick to the essentials.  Right now the bed is still in pieces in our garage, but it should be really easy to set up once I've cleared the room for it.  It makes me feel more connected to Ellen to know that we have the bed that someday she'll be sleeping in.  Hopefully putting together her room will make the wait go faster!

~Jess

1 comment:

Julia O'C said...

I'll take stubborn over losing skills any day. Emmett will do that, too - just stop doing something that previously wasn't an issue. *sigh*

Congratulations on the bed purchase!! One step closer!!

 
Blog Directory