Saturday, July 30, 2011

In Which I See An Improbable Pair Of Kayaks

So I spent today cleaning in preparation for a friend's visit and trying to resist the strong temptation to write a theme song for Semi-Flexible Plastic Boy.  Please note that 'plastic' rhymes with, among other things, 'drastic,' 'fantastic,' 'bombastic' and 'sarcastic.'  I had a very, very hard time restraining myself. 

Jer and Connor spent quite a bit of quality time together today.  I love it when Jeremy is home on the weekends and I get to watch the two of them interact.  Jer is a fantastic dad, and he's never happier than when he's bouncing the little guy up and down and telling him silly stories.  Connor loves every second of it, of course.

The weather here has finally decided to cooperate, and we've had some absolutely glorious sunny days.  I think everybody has gone a little nuts; traffic on the weekends has been ridiculous because so many people head out towards the coast or the mountains, ready to spend some time hiking or kayaking. 

And it's not just ridiculous because of the number of cars on the road, either.  Today on my way to the grocery store I saw a smart car with not one, but two sea kayaks strapped sideways to the roof.  It looked like they'd rolled the windows down and managed to wrap bungee cords through them and around the whole mess.  I'm pretty sure the whole thing would tip over if the driver took a turn a bit fast or if we got a strong breeze.  I gave him a wide berth.

What's next?  A kayak strapped to a unicycle?


~Jess

3 comments:

leah said...

Perhaps the Smart Car was the new version of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang: it can fly AND float like a boat!

I am hoping and praying that the adoption paperwork gets pushed through to move the timeline up a bit. I know they are working very hard, but it would be great if Ellen could come home as soon as possible!

Julia said...

I take it that "smart" describes the car and not the driver.

krlr said...

Well, maybe if the wind caught the boats just right then they could avoid all that pesky traffic?

The theme song is tempting, especially since you already mentioned bombastic & drastic, but I'll try not to embarass myself on the public interwebs.

 
Blog Directory