Wednesday, September 21, 2011

In Which Rowbert Gets A Tune-Up And Connor Is Sick

Hey everyone, guess what?  I got sleep!  Sleep is awesome.  I should totally do it more often.

Today was a pretty busy day for us.  After an extremely early in the morning send-off to my family, who had to return home today, I went back to bed, where I slept even longer.  It was amazing.  Then I got up and went out to clean up our van.

We needed to take the wheelchair van in for its annual maintenance, and also because the ramp had been acting up in funny ways for the last week or so.  It started doing this weird lurch to the right every time we tried to put it away, and while it would still go into the undercarriage it was obvious that something was off.  So Jer took some time off, we scheduled Joanna to watch Connor, and we prepared to take our beloved Rowbert in for some TLC. 

I always have to clean my vehicles before I take them in to the mechanics, by the way, because I believe that otherwise the mechanic is secretly judging me by just how messy the interior of the car is while he works on my car.  My mother does the same thing to the house whenever my parents have a maid service come, so I'm pretty sure this is an inherited trait.  Oh well.

The wheelchair van repair place is north of Seattle, which is quite the drive-- well over an hour away.  I was a little nervous about going today because Connor woke up this morning obviously under the weather.  He's been in school for a couple of weeks now, which means it's about the time when all the kids have thoroughly passed around on all of the new and delightful bugs they have picked up over the summer.  I'm pretty sure he'll be staying home tomorrow, as he's congested and miserable.  We really, really needed to fix the van though, and Jo was able to drop her daughter off so she wouldn't be exposed to Connor, so we figured we'd have to go for it.  Of course he had a ton of seizures (five or six-- I sort of lost count, which probably makes me a horrible mom) and was utterly miserable all day.  Poor little boo.

At least he has a functional ramp van now, though.  It turns out that a bolt holding something important in place had sheared off, so that's why the ramp was acting in such a funny way.  They replaced the bolt, and now everything is hunky-dory again.  Yay for Rowbert!

I left shortly after we found out that we could take the van home today (we weren't sure if we'd have to leave it overnight) so I wouldn't be late for derby, but I an accident on the access road delayed me getting on to the highway until the height of rush hour.  So then I sat for nearly three glorious hours in bumper-to-bumper traffic all the way through Seattle and back down to Puyallup.  So I was late anyway.  I felt really off and kind of achy tonight during our scrimmage, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm coming down with whatever super bug Connor's come up with or if it was because I'd just sat in a car for three hours.  I'll probably know one way or the other by tomorrow.

On the one hand, it really stinks that Connor is sick.  But on the other hand, he's sleeping again for the second night in a row.  I'm going to go take full advantage of it now.



Julia O'C said...

I really, really hope that you're not getting sick!

krlr said...

I'm so glad you're finally getting some rest! And will hope by all that is sacred that future rest is not imposed by breeding viral cells.

Blog Directory