Saturday, September 24, 2011

In Which Connor Is A Jack-In-The-Box And I Build A Bustle

So today Connor and I both felt much better; I think by the time Monday rolls around he'll be able to go back to school!  He didn't have a single seizure today, which is a pretty good sign that he's on the mend.  I actually felt fully recovered while Connor was still a little under the weather, and I think sleep was probably part of that.  Jer stayed up with Connor last night, and the little guy ended up sleeping for a grand total about forty-five minutes, sometime between six and seven in the morning.  Jer was not super excited about this.

So he slept in while Connor and I got some breakfast and then ran over to the fabric store, where I picked up some of the final things I needed to finish off my bustle skirt for my steampunk roller derby costume.  I'm pleased with how it's turning out considering that this is the first bustle skirt I've ever sewn in my entire life, and I can't wait to see what everything will look like put together.  Then we came home, where I alternated between working on the skirt while watching derby (it's a three day tournament, so guess what I'm doing tomorrow?) and trying to interest Connor in doing anything at all.

Connor didn't quite seem to know what he wanted to do.  Any time he was sitting up-- in my lap, in his wheelchair, on our couch, etc. he was The Sleepiest Boy The World Has Ever Known.  We're talking actually trying to fall asleep while sitting up-- the whole head-nodding, eyes drooping bit.  This also applied any time I tried to get him to play with his toys or to interact with anything in any way. 

But any time I put him down on any horizontal surface, suddenly he became Super Awake Hyper Boy.  He could be, to all appearances, completely asleep on my lap, and the second I eased him down onto the couch his eyes would instantly pop open and he demanded attention.  At one point I put him down for his usual hour and a half of quiet time, and he yelled at the top of his lungs through the whole thing.  Obviously having him sleep on my lap for eight hours was not going to be a good idea (not only because I wanted him to sleep tonight, but also because I was using a wide variety of sharp sewing-related things) so the whole day we played this sort of Sleep Jack-In-The-Box game.  He never quite managed to nod off completely while sitting up, but he still managed to completely avoid doing anything today, so in his mind his goal was probably accomplished.  Oh well.

Thankfully we shouldn't have a repeat of this tomorrow because he's actually asleep tonight.  I'm hoping to finish up my bustle skirt tomorrow and maybe even whip out a pair of bloomers if I have time, and of course watch a whole lot more derby.  We'll see how things go!

~Jess

No comments:

 
Blog Directory