Sunday, June 10, 2012

In Which Connor Continues The Daily Grind

Connor has still been grinding his teeth like crazy, so I went out and got him a variety of things to try chewing on.  The one that seems to be the most effective thus far is a plastic fish teether.  Though I'm not thrilled about him having a teether-- which isn't exactly age appropriate-- and wish that I could figure out something a little less associated with babies for him to chew on, it seems to be helping.  Cues haven't been working, and if we can't get him to stop he might eventually have to have a mouth guard to wear during part of the day, which we'd rather not have to do.  I think Connor would really struggle with that, and we hate to do anything to cause him distress if we have an alternative.  So I guess a teether isn't the end of the world in the scheme of things.

I figured the pool would be a little crowded today and Connor needed a bath anyway, so I filled up the tub, put on a swimsuit and the two of us splashed around for a while.  I brought in some bubbles, which went over surprisingly well.  I don't mean bubble bath-- I mean I brought in a tub of bubbles and blew them over the two of us in the bathtub.  Did you know that bubbles bounce when they hit the water?  Connor thought it was pretty cool, and he's not normally a huge bubble fan. 

I would love to give him an actual bubble bath, provided I could find a bubble bath that wouldn't make his eyes burn horribly if he got bubbles on his hands and then rubbed them in his eyes, which is likely.  Oh, and also doesn't cause him to have an allergic reaction, of course.  There are a ridiculous number of bath products out there with lavender in them!  If you've got any recommendations, let me know.  It won't be too much longer before he'll be too big to get in and out of the bathtub safely, and we'll have to stop our at-home miniature pool sessions and switch to strictly the shower chair.  That will be a pretty sad day for me!

~Jess

5 comments:

MS said...

I'm not sure if they would have the right texture for Connor to like chewing on, but you might look at this thing called "chewelry." http://kidcompanions.com/ has em.

I haven't tried them myself though.

Oops you asked for a recommendation on bubble bath, not chewy things. Alas, I don't use bubble bath myself. Causes rashes. I guess if you ever find one that's ok for Connor, I'll be the one taking your recommendation!

Julia O'C said...

E has several teethers (which his school calls "chew toys"....I'm not sure that makes it sound any better). He uses them when he's feeling tense and/or overstimulated.

Katherine said...

Fun and Function has a great selection of chewies - http://funandfunction.com/oral-motor-chewies-c-65_107_110.html

For bubble baths, you could try Mr. Bubble Extra Gentle. It is hypoallergenic and has no fragrance. The other thing you might try, is to use Connor's shampoo. Some shampoos will lather into bubbles under running water just like regular bubble bath suds.

Bonnie said...

Burt's Bees baby products? Most of the.m don't have lavendar

Kathryn said...

I used chew thingies at Connors age.(I have SPD and Sensuronerial hearing loss.)Of coursed they were odd looking and led to teasing in my 1st grade class.At home I used ugh what were thay called.Little viberator chewy things on a stick.

 
Blog Directory