Saturday, June 9, 2012

In Which I Have A Sort Of Wet But Really Fun Day

I think I slept on my neck in a funny way last night, because when I woke up this morning I discovered I'd pulled a muscle on one side, and turning my head to the left felt like I was driving a skewer through the base of my skull.  Does anybody else ever do this, or is it just me?  I have no idea how I manage to pull muscles while I am sleeping.  At any rate, I've been taking lots of ibuprofen today, which helped, and I'm thinking I may hit the hot tub at the YMCA tomorrow to help loosen it up a bit-- at least so I can turn my head enough during roller derby practice to see both sides of the track.

I spent most of today out washing cars to help raise money for the Make A Wish Foundation, which is to my mind definitely a worthy cause!  Despite multiple reapplications of sunscreen and overcast skies I managed to get a bit sunburned, but otherwise I had a great time.  Washing cars is a surprisingly good workout; I think it's all the squatting to get the wheel wells and whatnot that does the trick.  We had a decent turnout too, so we kept pretty busy.

Then afterwards we all went over to a teammate's house for a big barbecue.  While I adore my little guy and love being a full-time mom, sometimes it's really, really great to spend some time with other adults!  It always leaves me refreshed and ready to spend more time with the little guy.  Sometimes I can get a bit lonely; when Connor's having a rough stretch I can literally go days without seeing another adult besides Jer.  So I like to get my social time in while I can!  And of course I had a complete blast hanging out with my roller derby ladies.  Even though I've been playing for almost two years now I still feel like I stumbled on the cool kids' club in school and somehow managed to sneak my way in!

~Jess

No comments:

 
Blog Directory