Tuesday, June 5, 2012

In Which Connor Feels Much Better And I Make More Ridiculously Complicated Garden Plans

Today was Camping Day at Connor's school, so I sent him off with a sleeping bag, dressed in a plaid shirt.  He was ridiculously cute, and other than my overwhelming desire to whistle "The Lumberjack Song" under my breath whenever I looked at him, the morning was uneventful.  He apparently had a bit of an upset stomach at school though, because he came home in different clothes. 

They absolutely wore him out too, because he crashed hard during his quiet time and slept for almost four straight hours.  I think that he's still recovering from his hard week.  He didn't have any Benedryl on board, either-- his hives disappeared overnight so we discontinued it.  I was a little worried that he wouldn't sleep at night because of his midday snooze, but he actually fell asleep on Jeremy's lap before his usual bedtime.  That was one tired kid!

I spent a good portion of the time he was asleep sketching up fanciful designs for a way to cover part of the patio we're making.  I know I want to eventually put in a sun/rain shelter for Connor so he can enjoy the garden all through the year, but I'm not sure where I want to put it yet!  I'd originally thought about putting it beneath the big trees at the end of the garden, but I'm concerned about disturbing too much of their root system, as the floor of the shelter would need to be ground level (or ramped) so that we could get Connor's wheelchair in.  So I'm thinking about covering a portion of the patio closer to the house. 

Of course it would be much easier to just install the patio shelter as we're building the patio, but I don't think that's in the budget or time scheme this year, so I'll spend the winter designing exactly what I want and maybe I'll make that next year's project.  Luckily the tiles that the patio will be made of are easy to remove, so it shouldn't be too difficult to pry some up and sink concrete piers if that's what I end up deciding to do!

~Jess

No comments:

 
Blog Directory